• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ lug pattern on XJ

peej08

NAXJA Forum User
I am having the biggest issues right now, I currently have a set of 17'' Rubicon rims off a new JK and I have the wheel adapters but as everyone knows they are NOT good to use...

My question is, How can I achieve 5 on 5 bolt pattern on my XJ? I am looking into doing the brake upgrade in the near future, would that do the trick or would I have to swap out axle shafts?

PLEASE HELP!!!

I don't think they are bad to use. they put more stress on components but so does wheeling. You could either just use them or ditch the 17"s and look for a set of 16"s off the pre 97 Rubicon. They will have the same bolt pattern but they do have a 5 inch back spacing.. Good Luck

Converting the rear is easy, get aftermarket axleshafts with dual stud patterns. Pretty sure you can get 5x5 and 5x4.5 dual.

you could run a WJ conversion in the front and skip the spacer welding and XJ unit bearings and use WJ stock brake rotors, but you'd have to get aftermarket outer axle shafts to use a 1310 size U-joint with them because WJs used CV shafts stock. An XJ outer shaft will not work as the threaded portion is not long enough to get the nut and washer onto the outside and the U-joint centerline to bearing face offset may be wrong. Could also run RCV shafts with inners sized for an XJ and outers sized for a WJ.

I'd just run the spacers on the front unless you're looking for a reason to upgrade your brakes and steering, and probably on the rear unless you want to buy aftermarket shafts.

Everyone I have talked to say it is bad to run them cause it puts MORE wear on your ball joints and other parts...

Well I plan on doing the WJ brakes and steering upgrade before this summer and I am thinking about installing the KJ disc brake swap on my 8.25. I think I will just run the adapters for now, I dont want the 16'' rubicon rims due to 16'' tires are hard to find down here in MS.

Everyone I have talked to say it is bad to run them cause it puts MORE wear on your ball joints and other parts...

Well I plan on doing the WJ brakes and steering upgrade before this summer and I am thinking about installing the KJ disc brake swap on my 8.25. I think I will just run the adapters for now, I dont want the 16'' rubicon rims due to 16'' tires are hard to find down here in MS.

itll wear the same as wheels with the same offset. and you need 16s to clear the wj rotors unless youre running like 3.25" bs

Alright, Well I appreciate the responses. They have helped me, Like I said before I plan on doing the WJ swap and I will just run these wheel adapters. Will loc-tite help keep the lugs on the wheel adapters?

Loctite is not a bad idea.

Alright, Well I appreciate the responses. They have helped me, Like I said before I plan on doing the WJ swap and I will just run these wheel adapters. Will loc-tite help keep the lugs on the wheel adapters?

You're running spacers to center the wheel, that's making the backspacing closer to a 0 offset.
If you're running spacers on something with low backspacing, pushing the wheel's centerline even further out from the hub, then you're adding shear load to the hub that didn't exist before.

And with that, I give you, 17x7 dodge charger wheels that have 4.5"bs, with stock JK Rubicon tires.
Use them if you want a 17" wheel, with the right offset/centerbore

IMG_3322.jpg

The back spacing on the wheel is 6 1/4 and the wheel adapters are 1.25''

I really like the look of the rims, the reason I bought them.

IDK the exact brand of spacers, bought them from a guy locally. They aren't blue so I know they aren't spidertrax. Honestly, I think they are a cheap set from ebay made from bullit aluminum.

I run JK Moab 17's (on my WJ) with a backspacing of 5.75 -- assuming your wheels actually are 6.25, with your spacer you'll be at a net 5" of backspacing -- lots and lots of XJ guys running 3.75 backspacing, which puts more stress on hubs than you are even considering. I have run good quality aluminum spacers on 3 different rigs for over a decade - use red loctite, torque them properly on install, and don't worry about it.

Back