• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stalled in the water

mmarriottxj

NAXJA Forum User
I know water isn't exactly the best thing for a Jeep, but I just can't help myself. My Jeeps intake is pretty protected and I sealed my distributer cap with RTV and put a tube on the breather tube and routed it up inside the hood and put a small coton fuel filter on it. And it still stutters and or dies. When it fires back up it seems to be running on half power for a couple seconds then roars back to life. Does anybody else play in the water and fixed this?

The only truly water proof system is the one the military used in it's gas vehicles like the M151, M880 and such which have submergable ignition systems, the plug wires screw on to the plugs and cap. The ECU/Ignition sytem was a sealed box with big amphenol o ring'd screw on connectors
One joint excercise I was involved in I drove a usmc supplied quarter ton ashore from an lst, the water was above my name tag on my shirt in the drivers seat :D
I asked one of the marines how deep it would go and he said as long as the intake and exhaust snorkels were above water and for as long as I could hold my breath.
Just at a guess there is probably a military ignition system out there for jeeps. Maremont industries comes to mind for some reason.

You can try to accomplish some more waterproofing by putting dielectric grease on the plug and coil boots. Spraying your sensors and the inside of your distributor would help a bit too.

my concern would be the coil and ICM under it... not waterproof at all....... i remember hanging around with some guys who ran swamp buggies down south a few years ago and they used some sort of "silly putty" type stuff and litterally packed it by the handful aroud the ditributor and anything else that they wanted to keep dry.. and lots of WD40 in the cap..
mike

Back