• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Question

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
I got an issue with my leaf spring that I can't figure out. The Jeep is a 90 XJ and I have installed a RE 4.5inch lift. So the rear leaf spring keeps popping and grinding where it attaches to the shackle. I thought it was the bushing but it looks okay.

I don't know if this is normal or not but when I disconnect the spring from the rear shackle it wants to spring outward and out of line with the shackle. I tapped the bushing out and it came out fairly easily using a socket and a hammer. So I am thinking a new bushing won't help because the leaf spring will scoot over on the bushing and rub against the shackle again.

So any help would be appreciated.

I was talking to a suspension teacher and he thought that my spring might be actually bent. Does that sound possible to you guys? Has anyone had to deal with that?

I'm pretty sure the bushings not supposed to be loose in there at all like you said. They are meant to be pretty much a super tight press-in type deal. Maybe that's your popping and grinding noise, the bushing shifting around in the spring eye?

this exact thing is happening to me, except in the drivers side front spring bushing/ hanger. ive replaced the bushing but the spring still slides over to the left and scrubs the hanger. i completely dropped the axle from the spring just to make sure everything was lined up. the only thing i can guess at is that the spring is warped/bent. and this really sucks bc the springs are only about 1.5 yrs old and im not rough on the jeep as it is my DD. More of REs "high quality" parts for us.

Back