• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The start of my $350 Craigslist adventure

shhuskins

NAXJA Forum User
Let me start off by saying hello, I am new to NAXJA but it's already my favorite XJ forum. I found A 96 XJ 4 dr 4.0 200k miles not running. Went and looked at it extra milky oil extra bad cheap paint job 4 different sizes and brand tires bent fenders and bumper no headliner filthy carpet. Picked it up for $350. Hopefully it has a bright future as a trail rig. gotthe head off yesterday to find this
0301011411.jpg

wow not what I was hoping for. Now I honestly don't know what to do. When the piston broke and tore the cylinder wall all to pieces to the point I think its beyond boring it out. How much can I expect to pay for A decent 4.0? I've kinda looked into a 350 swap but I'd much rather keep it as cheap as possible to justify a "good deal" on a trail rig. What do you guys suggest? Also what is the best/cheapest way to lift it 4-5 inches. I want to run 33x12.50's planning on trimming fenders removing carpet and Herculining top and bottom. Just A fun beater.
Thanks Guys Here is some pictures
Oh also popped the trunk and there was a set of shackles you'll see :)
0227010831-1.jpg

0227010832.jpg

0227010840-1.jpg

0227010834.jpg

Lol revolver shackles. 4.0's are cheap. Expect anywhere from $100 to $400. Are you sure the cylinder walls are beyond help? Otherwise bore ithem out and stroke it!

Yeah they are super cheap (under 300 for decent mileage) here on CL. Not bad looking though, just keep a rattle can of white in the back for touch ups!

Ben

That's awesome, I'm completely cool with paying $300. I just can't find any lol. AN update onthe block I didn't even notice earlier its completely shot. A cylinder wall cracked completely in 2. Owell. Is it just the engine mount on each side and it bolted to the tranny?? I have never removed an engine before any advice will be greatly appreciated (other than have a shop do it, because I can't afford to lol)
Thanks Guys

I've paid:
* $75 for a 150k mile 4.0 from a 99 in great shape (bought as a spare, it is now in a friend's daily driver and has been running great for about 8 months)
* $75 for a 150-250k (not sure) 4.0 from a 95 that a friend of mine got off CL and parted out (bought as a spare after selling the other one for what I paid, it's now in my storage unit, no idea how it runs but should be pretty OK)
* $150 for an unknown mileage motor out of a 96 that was originally in a 99 iirc, picking it up off a friend to put in my 98 XJ since the original motor is in rough shape.

You can expect to pay anywhere from 50 to 300 or 400 depending on how strapped for time you are and who you talk to. There are some going for 150, 100, and a couple for like 300 in my chapter right now. I'm buying the 150 dollar one because it's closer to me than the 100 dollar one, I'd rather put money in a friend's pocket than a stranger's, and someone else I know is picking up the 100 dollar one.

As for how easy it is... not bad at all. Buy yourself an E12 external torx socket, an engine hoist, and a load leveler. Remove the nose, front bumper, radiator, and Ac condenser. Disconnect all the cables and wires and hoses and junk, unbolt and remove manifolds (unbolt the power steering pump and lay it aside without disconnecting the hoses), unbolt the 4 bolts (15mm head) that hold the torque converter to the flexplate, unbolt the tranny from the engine (bunch of 10mm head bolts for the bellhousing cover plate, plus the E12s at the top of the bellhousing and 2 larger bolts through the bellhousing into the back of the motor) then unbolt the 4 small nuts/bolts (15mm and 13mm sockets) on the engine mounts. Yank the motor out, move accessories and sensors to the new motor, stuff it back in... installation is reverse of removal, you just curse in different spots :D

You'll want a new manifold gasket, new motor mounts, some loctite, and new fluids. That's about all there is to it. If you are putting a new water pump and thermostat in it, you'll also want a thermostat gasket, a water pump gasket, the water pump inlet tube (rockauto has em for like 6 bucks), and might as well toss new plugs/cap/rotor/wires on it while it's out.

Ok so whats the best thing to do while my motor is in pieces? I was looking in the intake manifold and there is all kinda gunk an junk in there whats the best way to clean that out? What some good things (cheap) to replace or clean?

intake manifold - either hot tank it, or put it in a parts cleaner, or just go nuts with acetone or brakleen and a brush. Take the sensors and injectors off first. It is very important that you get any fragments of valves, rings, and pistons out of the intake manifold, I would not be at all surprised to find some in there since you have a shredded piston.

You'll need new injector o-rings and a new throttle body gasket.

Back