• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buddy jeep not running after water ..

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
So a buddy of mine has a 98 xj stock as a rock..
He went wheeling and was in some water .. he claims he wasnt beating his rig up or going in deep water but said he was in water..

anyway He is having some issues as its dying on him repeatedly and leaking antifreeze..
Then overheated right as he was getting it home

So heres the symptoms and what ive done ..

looked in airbox and the filter seems fine.. there was a little muddy water in the bottom of airbox . but filter was clean ..

tried to hunt down coolant leak it looks like its coming from the hose that comes off the right side of radiator (when looking at from front) into the water pump? either right at the connection or from the water pump?

If you run the heater it comes out cold ( i suppose cause coolant is low).

with the funny idle and it dying and not wanting to start repeatedly.. i diid a naxja search and decided to try the T.P.S. so we bought one and put it on upside down? iit was idling pretty high.. so we disconnected and flipped it.. seems to idle at a normal rate now ... but when you rev it and let off it doesnt come right back down the rpms linger and then fade down.. it only does this in park oor nuetral. in drive it seems to rev normally..

So it looked like it was going well and all ii had to do was find coolant leak.. but when i drove it it sputtered out and died on me ...

Any suggestions? oh yea didnt look like water in the oil or anything either

Sounds like the TPS still. Just because you replaced it doesn't mean it not at fault, especially if there's still moisture in the connector. Let it dry out completely. Try testng it; there are plenty of threads around here on how to do that. Pretty sure that you would want a dealer part for it, but I can't recall.

As for the coolant loss, low coolant will cause no heat AFAIK, and obviously cause it to overheat. Check with a bright flashlight around the radiator. My bet is on the side tank leaking where the fins meet.

Always test things before replacing them. Otherwise, you will just be guessing and throwing parts at it that may not be part of the problem.

Sounds like the TPS still. Just because you replaced it doesn't mean it not at fault, especially if there's still moisture in the connector. Let it dry out completely. Try testng it; there are plenty of threads around here on how to do that. Pretty sure that you would want a dealer part for it, but I can't recall.

As for the coolant loss, low coolant will cause no heat AFAIK, and obviously cause it to overheat. Check with a bright flashlight around the radiator. My bet is on the side tank leaking where the fins meet.

Always test things before replacing them. Otherwise, you will just be guessing and throwing parts at it that may not be part of the problem.
Thanks for the advice.. i looked up how to test the tps but intead just replaced it. i didnt think to test the new one .. and the plug didnt look damp still but i also didnt think about looking closely at the time either

ill drive over there and test that now.

i would say its the water pump. when mine went bad, had the same symptoms, except it would run hot, and the jeep would shut off.

Disconnect all engine management sensors. Spray the connectors thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner (available anywhere including WalMart). Add a small dab of dielectric grease and reconnect.

Distributor cap is another thing that HATES water.

Gotta tell you. Water intrusion is tough company. Symptoms can be tough to get rid of.

OK so water pump was bad went ahead and replaced that hose as well while we were at it..

and the sensors as you guys called still had a little moisture so we disconnected and thouroghly cleaned and allowed dry time..

Now SHes running like a top again and hopefully he learned a thing or two about water .. :)

Thanx for the advice guys /

Back