• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 cluster swap for earlier, got questions?!?

JDNCHEROKEE

NAXJA Forum User
OKay,
I've got a 96 cherokee 4dr 4wd 5-spd. I hated the cluster in it, seriously how are you gonna have a manual transmission and NO tach ?!? just a big dumb over sized gas gauge where one should be.. not to mention the stupid ass warning lights for the temp & oil... god forbid anything ever happen and that stupid little light doesn't come on, or if it does, it's most likely already to late :firedevil jeep really missed on this oem cluster..

So... I found a earlier model cluster w/ actual gauges and a tach !:roll:

I've installed it, everything hooked up just fine.. the fuel, tach, speedo, volt, odometer, trip and all warning lamps work just fine...hell, I even have a low fuel light now!?!

however, the oil pressure stays pegged and the water temp doesn't work ?
any suggestions or trouble shooting tips would really help here, I'd love to have everything working :D

the original OEM cluster that was in it.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/jnobe333/IMG_20110226_114551.jpg

and the OEM cluster I upgraded to !

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/jnobe333/IMG_20110226_114624.jpg

You have to change the two sensors for ones intended for gauges. You can get them at any parts store.

They should ask you "lights" or "gauges". Best thing to do is to find the correct part numbers on-line and take them into the store.

Here's some info I saved from when I swapped the cluster in my '96. Prices might be higher now. I used a tiny pipe wrench to R&R the oil sender. I didn't save the credits for the sources I used, sorry.

"Now for the dirty part - Open the hood and swap the senders for the ones that you purchased from the dealer or aftermarket.
I opted for aftermarket and searched around. I found that Kragen had the best prices.
I ordered Part Numbers
- OPS140 - Switch Oil Pressure (GP/Sorensen Brand) $25.49
- TS82771/AL6206 Temp Sender (Niehoff brand) $10.99
Borg-Warner temp sender that controls the gauge.
Just shy of $10.00 at O'Reilly's with a lifetime warranty, part #WT398

I did the oil pressure sender first. It is located right by the Oil Filter. I read about people who broke these off when they were trying to take them out, so I proceeded with caution. "

Mike

2 of my ax15 SE models didn't come with them either(how many pennies did Jeep save by making 2 sets of sensors and gauges?). Of course I switched them out.

Back