• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about Factory Radio

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

So I've got an issue with the factory stereo in my 98 XJ. It's the Infinity CD/Tape deck combo. I removed the faceplate yesterday to try and remove the volume knob for cleaning as I'm having volume issues. My question though is about the small equalizer knobs. It seems in all my careful attention to not break a tab on the plastic face I didn't pop off the small equalizer knobs. Well, when the face popped off the knobs went flying. After an hour I found 2 of them. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? The junkyard near me has replacement stereos, but they want me to buy the whole thing. Ebay seems to have the LED lights, but not the knobs. Having a missing knob will drive me crazy....any thoughts? Thank you.

I know it's a minor gripe.....but does anyone have a source on how to locate some replacements.....the stereos go for over $150 on ebay, which seems crazy to me since they're factory.

I wanted to update this thread since I was able to fix the problems. I found replacement knobs at the junkyard out of a Chrysler tape deck. They only charged me $12 for the whole deck.

The big fix here though was my volume issue. If anyone has the factory Infinity deck the volume knob is on a dual circuit pulse giver. When cold, my volume knob wasn't working. If you tried to adjust the volume it would go to max volume and would not respond to adjustment until it was warm. Well, since I had it out of the XJ my friend and I took the deck apart and pulled out the main print board. There were several cracked solders on the board. We re-soldered the connections and I used electronics parts cleaner on the integrated pulse giver volume control. The combination of repairing the circuits and cleaning the volume control circuit have restored perfect function in the deck. So, if you like the factory deck, and don't want to spend $180 for a used one on Ebay, it can be repaired.

Are you talking about the knobs, or the whole head unit? Mine has the CD player and the tape deck and I could only find them on Ebay for around $180.

Whole head unit. Typically they run 10-20 at pick your own parts junkyards. I stopped after I got about 3 extras of the CD/tape combo. Haven't needed one in about 3 years.

Maybe it's a regional thing. My local pick-a-part didn't have a single Chrysler CD player and said they'd price one at $50, without the tape combo.

Must be, Jeeps are very common here, so it is possible to find them with the cd/tape combo, either in XJs or ZJs.

In any case, the car-part.com website lists a bunch of them cheap.

Back