• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Left Dome light on, no Juice, Won't jump

CHAMPA

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj sport 4 door 6 cyl. 4.0

Replaced battery, battery cables, alternator, plugs AND crankshaft postion sensor 4 months ago. No problems since

Drained the battery after leaving dome light on, and now it won't even jump. Engine turns over (starter is good) just wont catch.

Where do I look next?

Last edited:
might not have enough juice to power the starter and the electronics via jumper cables.
Put it on the charger and try 8 hours later.

Thanks 87
When I have it hooked up to another jeep, my battery reading is putting out at about 13.5 volts (this is off the the dash gauge not a volt meter) That should have gotten me started right? Still think its worth throwing it on the charger? Thanks for the help

What does a voltmeter say about battery voltage while cranking? If it doesn't go over 9 volts the ECU won't even think about doing anything.

Great, thanks. Ill check that out when I get home and I'll throw it on a charger over night just to be sure. Ill let you guys know if this works out. Thanks again

Ok Guys. No luck with a fully charged battery. I am thinking about taking out the alterntor and having it checked. It was a rebuilt one that I purchased from Napa, heard that the rebuilt ones sometimes have longevity issues. Won't be getting to it for a couple days though so other suggestions would help. I can have a look at a few things while im in there removing the alternator.

It should still start with a bad alternator and a good battery... this is odd.

What voltage are you getting during crank? How healthy is it cranking, fast or slow?

Fuel pressure at Shraeder valve on fuel rail? Any spark? Work your way from the sparkplugs to the battery. Suddenly bad CPS? Ive had two unrelated things go bad at the same time, each preventing the engine from starting. I know, it's a pain, but you've got to approach it methodically, and you'll find it.

Thanks for the help you guys... Put the battery back on the charger another night while tinkering. Threw it back in the next morning and it started. Can't explain it, but it woked after the second charge. Wish it was always that easy right?

Thanks for the Help!

Thanks for the help you guys... Put the battery back on the charger another night while tinkering. Threw it back in the next morning and it started. Can't explain it, but it woked after the second charge. Wish it was always that easy right?

Thanks for the Help!

Probably bad battery connections that got moved during battery remove/replace.

Back