• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bored out throttle body and spacer

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if boring the tb and putting in the tb spacer will mess with the emissions when u get a smog check done? california is a bitch. thanks

Don't know about smog, but forget the spacer. It's a waste of $$$$. Bored throttle body and high flow air cleaner will give a nice kick in the pants feeling. And will not set CEL, at least in mine. Not sure about smogging though. I have a 96 by the way.

mines an 89 renix. either way if it does interfer with the smog i will still run one i just need to know if i should keep the stock one on the shelf or not.

I don't have an answer but do all "historic" vehicles in Cali have to be emmissions tested? I saw a show on SPEED about regulated hot rods in Cali and illegal shit and was like wtf?

PS: I live in Maryland and my 87 doesn't get emmission tests (historic tag DD)

mines an 89 renix. either way if it does interfer with the smog i will still run one i just need to know if i should keep the stock one on the shelf or not.

i have a throttle body spacer but my throttle body isnt bored its stock. still pass smog but thats oregon smog.

Bored TB is worth it. I've done 3 of them on my Renix Jeeps. Did a TB spacer on a 5.9 Dodge. Took it back off.

www.strokedjeep.com has a really neat exchange program on bored throttle bodies with bigger throttle plates. They're no jut polished up TBs like you'll find elsewhere. Price is right, too.

I see no reason why you wouldn't pass a smog test.

Last edited:
The spacer is just an over priced aluminum block with a big hole drilled through it.
You get no gains off it on a 4.0

TB spacers do nothing on fuel injected vehicles unless they are TBI's.

i'm looking to get a bored out throttle body, and do not see how they would mess with emissions. I don't care though because here in manitoba there is no such thing as emission tests!

It won't mess with it.

You can hurt emissions by messing with vacuum lines, exhaust systems, or sensors.

Increasing airflow through the TB is a non issue. Air is air, the velocity and volume is the only difference.

What does something like this do to gas milage? Good mod for a DD?

My wife and I DD 2 Jeeps. Both have bored TBs from www.strokedjeep.com.
Mileage is the same. Be aware, though, that mileage probably will decrease a bit when the TB is first installed as you will be playing around with the skinny pedal at first. After that, same old mileage.

Bored TB from strokedjeep.com here. Probably one of the best 90$ you will spend on your XJ. Only had mine installed for about a month, throttle response is better and seen a slight increase in mileage. I am also running some of the Ford Orange top 19lb injectors.
When you install make sure you adjust your TPS.

Bored TB from strokedjeep.com here. Probably one of the best 90$ you will spend on your XJ. Only had mine installed for about a month, throttle response is better and seen a slight increase in mileage. I am also running some of the Ford Orange top 19lb injectors.
When you install make sure you adjust your TPS.

Ok cause I'm still a newb and not afraid to ask questions here. What do you mean adjust the TPS?

That does help.

But, when you get one from www.stroked jeep.com , it comes with a 60mm butterfly as it is bored all the way through. 60mm flows alot more air than 52mm.
Stock is only 59mm tapered down to 55. So if you just did the bottom portion your not getting a full 60 out of it. I'm having mine redone by a friend with a lathe, we're bringing it out to 62 and making the new throttle plate as well should be pretty sweet and a lot cheaper than the $90 the Jeepstrokers guy is charging. He must be making a killing of these and that's cheap, a lot of places are charging at least double that for one.

Last edited:
Back