• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washer between spring pack and axle

robhurlburt

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing a S-10 bastard pack, and i didn't think the head of the bolt was big after being ground down to fit in the axle (centering pin), so i put a washer in between the bolt and the spring pack. As you may know, the holes in the S-10 leaf are slightly larger than the stock springs, bvut the hole in the axle is small for the stock centering spring.

Now i am thinking this is a bad idea. I would think the spring pack should sit flat on the axle, but at the same time, i am unsure if the thin washer could cause any issues.

Thoughts?

The U-bolts are not tightened in this pic.

P2260129.jpg

this is not a good idea at all, the axle is going to flop around like a, ummm... uhhhh... a? a floppy axle!!!!

you have made a pivot point sir! :D

fix it or don't drive it until you can

I just use a socket cap screw and drill the hole in the perch to fit the head of the bolt. Just make sure to get grade 8

Curious about something along the same lines as the ops question here. What about a washer on top of the springs between the spring plate? Had not really thought about it and in my case it is still easy enough to remove if it would be an issue (still no axle in) but seeing this thread has got me wondering now...

Thanks,

Paint

OK...
No F'n washers.

The center bolt is ONLY a cap bolt with a nut on the spring plate side.

Can't stress this enough. Both the fitment of the spring to the axle and the spring to the spring plate is zero clearance with absolutely no washers to be found.

Drilling the springs to fit a 3/8" bolt is easy with a carbide tipped masonry bit. Then drill out the spring perch to match the bolt head.

good to hear man, for anyone reading this later on the pack must sit flat on the perch and throughout the leaf pack. If there is a gap the pack will eventually develop stress cracks, if its on the perch you risk splitting the leaf around the center pin hole.

One more thing.. dont use regular bolts for leaf springs! Center pin bolts are used for a reason on leaf packs, they are not just regular bolts. My buddy works at a shop and explained it to me and said that center pins are very soft, they basically wont shear as easily IF THE U BOLTS ARE TIGHT, and the thread pitch is very very tight to keep the pack as tight as possible. You really want zero movement within the pack especially around the center pin. Center pins are cheap and i always carry spares when wheeling just incase, majority of the breakage ive seen on the trails is from guys using grade 5/8 bolts, allen bolts, or they have not tightened the u bolts correctly/re-torqued them after the u bolts have stretched. I have a bastard pack and drilled out the leafs and the pad for the larger center pin and i feel much more confident over the stock xj center bolt.

I have used g 8 allen heads for spring bolts have never broken and have used for 4 years now and they fit right in the spring perch

Yeah, but why risk it... center pins are designed for leaf springs, ill stick with regular center pins.

I would use a socket head bolt that fits snugly in the holes in the springs and drill the hole in the spring perch to accommodate the head of the bolt. If you leave any room for play it will tear itself up. Oh, and no washers between the springs and spring plate or perch :nono:

i guess you guys have had good experience with using regular bolts, I'm just passing info along from guys i know who build spring packs for old mack trucks, heavy dump trucks, and do custom leaf spring installs. I've sat there for hours and the guys at this shop just showed me all the custom stuff they could do to a leaf from start to finish, all the diff style wraps, home made u bolts, and just the way they make heavy duty packs for customers.

I'm still gona stick with a center pin and keep my u bolts tight but if you guys are having good experiences with grade 8 and higher more power to you. From my understanding grade 5 is designed to bend before shearing, grade 8 is made to be stiffer and stronger but won't bend itl just shear. :dunno:

Back