• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60 help

GruDog

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a set of 3/4 ton axles from an F250 (D44/60), the D60 is a full float but the drivers side hub failed. I can pull the wheel and axle shaft completely out without unbolting the hub. inside the hub, the bearings and races are completly chewed up, the spindle, threads and axle shaft are fine. My question is, since I dont really know what Im looking at, where do I go from here, what parts, besides the bearings am I likely to need? Thanks and I can email pics to better show the problem if it would help.

Just went out and looked at it again, the spindle nut is also chewed up, Im think this may be the point of failure as that is what retains the hub on the spindle? Correct me if Im wrong.

Yes the spindle nut keep everything together. Can you pull the drum brakes off without taking the spindle nut off? How is the spindle nut "chewed up" but the spindle threads are fine?

Here is a really good write for brakes on the rear 60 that has a step by step teardown that shows most the parts.
http://www.boyandjeep.com/tech-articles/ford-dana-60-rear-drums

Thanks for that article, I now know My outer lock nut has failed lol. As far as I can tell, the lock nut got worn down significantly but the spindle threads are fine. I guess theres a good chance this axle could have been serviced improperly which led to significant failure... Anyways thanks for the help.

Back