• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing Pinion angle Vibes

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
First off it’s a 98 6inchs lift with AA SYE and CV shaft. Now I didn't have vibes before I regeared but now I do, I believe because everything is spinning so much faster?

It starts around 65MPH, I checked the angles with an angle finder and the DS is at 16 degrees and the pinion is at 14 degrees. From researching I have found this could be normal readings to allow for the DS to tourq up. Now could 2 degrees cause noticeable vibes if the Pinion is not tourquing up? I was thinking of putting in 2 degree shims to make them completely equal. Do you guys think it will help?

Thanks

yeah I had the same issue as you and not quite as much lift, but when I regeared the shaft was spinning faster and vibrating. How do you have the pinion shimmed now???

yeah then I would nose down like you said. Luckily I have been lifting and lowering trucks for about 10 years so I have 2, 4 and 6 degree lying around, but that sounds like where you need to start.

Your numbers don't make sense. The pinion should be pointing at the SYE and then down a degree or two. In other words the ujoint at the diff should flex absolutely as little as possible as it turns. If you have an angle at that ujoint, that is where your vibe is comming from.

I had the same issue. It was fixed by getting a quality Tom Woods front driveline, and dialing the pinion up front way up. It's probably a degree up from zero.

I was getting a nasty, droning pulsating vibe over 55 mph.

Try driving with out the front shaft installed.

Back