• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ Transfer drop help

bellingham

NAXJA Forum User
So i have a 3" lift on my XJ and although i have very little driveline vibration i wanted to go ahead and see if a 1/2-1" transfer case drop would smooth it out and prolong the life of my u-joints. Looking at the bolts that hold the crossmember up i noticed one was a stud on each side. Can anyone tell me how to go about removing these studs so that i can put longer bolts in to accommodated the spacers i will be putting in? Also has anyone had any issues with bending/breaking the joints during installing the spacers?

If you have access to a welder, you can weld a nut to the stud and turn the stud out with a wrench. I have heard of people having luck using two nuts together to make a jam nut to turn the stud out will also, so maybe try that if you have no welder.

As far as the joints, you should not have trouble with them bending or breaking, they are not that fragile.

Same question here. I just installed a 3inch Budget lift from Ruk and while I haven't experienced any vibrations without the t-case drop, I still want to install it to help with U-joint life. My question is: On my truck, the studs look more like welded in studs (with threads only on one side and a welded-in non-threaded "plug" on the other, see pic). My worry is that once I get these suckers out (if at all), there won't be any threads in the frame to screw a new bolt into. Any of you seen this situation before?
Thanks,
Peter

you do know what someone means when they say, "double nut it" right? bc i had like 123786123 people tell me that when i was 17 and i had no effing clue wtf they were talking about.

Good call.

Thread one nut on then thread the second nut on. Make sure the second nut has enough engagement on the threads once it bottoms out on the first nut.

Tighten the second nut as you loosen the first nut so they jam against each other. Then when you go to loosen the first nut, it should pull the stud out since it is jammed against the second nut.

Hope that wasn't too convoluted :laugh:.

PB Blaster and a pipe wrench, with a torch on hand in case the PBB and wrench isn't enough. Soak (and/or heat), put pipe wrench on stud, remove. We tried the double nut trick, and it just stripped the threads on the studs.

nah, the OP.. or guy asking rather

Good call.

Thread one nut on then thread the second nut on. Make sure the second nut has enough engagement on the threads once it bottoms out on the first nut.

Tighten the second nut as you loosen the first nut so they jam against each other. Then when you go to loosen the first nut, it should pull the stud out since it is jammed against the second nut.

Hope that wasn't too convoluted :laugh:.

i honestly couldnt figure it out until someone showed me IRL :looney:

I've attempted 3 t-case drops on different cherokees, all with mixed results. First one went on no problem. Was amazed because it had the most age/rust of the lot. Second one was my personal rig, and it was a disaster. Tried double nutting, they both spun no matter how tight they were against each other. Tried welding a nut onto the stud, and it broke back off. Finally tried a stud remover, and it snapped both studs off at the base. Third jeep was my buddies, and after the double-butting and welded-nut didn't work again, I said bro buy an SYE before we F it up like mine... and he did. I would have much rather paid $200 in the beginning than dicked around with mine for an entire day, and then have to come up with some means of re-securing the crossmember sufficiently.

Yeah, I tried double nutting with no results, but haven't tried PB or heat yet. Next weekend... The stud breaking off is what I'm worried about since the threads clearly don't go all the way into the frame. There's a ridge where the threads clearly end and it just becomes a round stud. Wish I could attach a pic...

Harbor Freight stud extracter for $8.95. Works like a charm. Thats how I did mine

PB Blaster and a pipe wrench, with a torch on hand in case the PBB and wrench isn't enough. Soak (and/or heat), put pipe wrench on stud, remove. We tried the double nut trick, and it just stripped the threads on the studs.

Same thing happened with me. I ended up cutting the studs off flush and drilling/tapping them.

Back