• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What head do I have on my 92 XJ?

lowtek

NAXJA Forum User
I think my head has been changed; is there a easy way to ID what head I have on my 92?

Details:
I picked up a 92 XJ with a 103000 miles last Dec. While doing a battery load test the mechanic I go to said my temp. gauge sender was cracked, and it's coming off the goose neck on the front and for that year it should be in the back of the head (the wire had been extended too). He looked closer and the head isn't drilled/tapped for a sender at the rear of the head. He thinks the head was changed out.

I bought the XJ from the relative of the original owner so i can't check with him.

Thanks;
LowTek

My 91 has the temp sender in the tstat housing.

Find the casting number on the head.

but it also has another one at the back of the head.

not sure when the change was, but my 92 has the temp sensor for the computer in the thermostat housing, and the temp sender for the gauge on the back of the head. i know because i have replaced the gauge sender before.

sometime in the later years, they went to either a combo sensor, or 2 sensors in the thermostat housing. (im not sure which and not sure which year it changed)
but there you go

You have to take the valve cover off to see the casting number.

You have to take the valve cover off to see the casting number.

Is it different on the early models vs. the later models? What I mean is on the late models you can see the casting number directly on the top of the head, right below the lip of the valve cover at about the halfway point of the head - drivers side. Don't have to remove anything to see it.

Is it different on the early models vs. the later models? What I mean is on the late models you can see the casting number directly on the top of the head, right below the lip of the valve cover at about the halfway point of the head - drivers side. Don't have to remove anything to see it.

That's been my experience also. Driver side of the head, midway , clean the top surface next to the valve cover. Only way to know for sure. anything else is a guess. Takes 5 minutes tops to get that number.

I was probably thinking of a different vehicle. Some vehicle I had, the casting number was between two of the valve springs. Sorry for the SPOBI.

You probably have a 97-99 0630 head which is identical to the 91-95 7120 head, except it doesn't have a bung in the rear for the dash gauge temp sender.

It's an 0630 head

You probably have a 97-99 0630 head which is identical to the 91-95 7120 head, except it doesn't have a bung in the rear for the dash gauge temp sender.

Yup, no bung in the back of the head. And, I found the part number (0630) on the side like people said.:yelclap:

Thanks all for you help;

LowTek

Back