• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ROC Rock Slider/Boatsides

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
attachment.php

Anyone ever seen these? I really like them but Im waiting to hear back from the guy about the mounting system. From the picture it looks like they are only mounted to the stock rocker and then the frame somehow.

How do you think something like this would hold up if they were tied into the pinch seam? How about if they werent at all?

The actual slider is higher than any bolt on kit other than Hanson's and Im not sold on Hanson's mounting system. I think these would be stronger because they are tied into the frame rail too.

You thoughts?

I think the boat side really shows off how low the Rough Country long arms hang.

But seriously, unless there's boxed steel under there like a real rock slider, that wouldn't last long.

I've landed on my aj's rails so hard that the rocker is slightly crushed, and theres a gap now.

I like the concept, but if I was going to really boatside the XJ I'd probably want them to come up higher.

If I bought them and they didnt have anything connecting them to the pinch seam I would do what is illustrated here by my fine MS paint skills, definitely not to scale but you get the idea. The bracket in blue would be the main modification. Build it so it runs the full length of the rock slider and have it mount with bolts through the pinch seam just like most other sliders do. Then have some countersunk bolts come up through the boatside and tie into the bracket.

I think the bracket in blue would be pretty easy to make out of flat stock and I think it would increase the strength significantly.

I havent gotten word back from the guy who makes them other than finding out he makes them so price and the mounting system is still unknown to me. For me they would be on my dd so Im not getting crazy beating on them but they would need to withstand some hard hits every once in a while.

Last edited:
With your illustration, what is the benefit over no boatsides? Wouldn't regular sliders give the same basic protection to the stock rocker. With boatsides, I would want the rocker to be higher by a few inches.

Edit: If you are not currently getting rock damage between the outside frame rail and the stock rocker why do it?

hmmm... i'm definitely interested in something like that. It would hide the current damage to my rockers while keeping me from having to cut them out for now. Do you have any more info on these?

With your illustration, what is the benefit over no boatsides? Wouldn't regular sliders give the same basic protection to the stock rocker. With boatsides, I would want the rocker to be higher by a few inches.

Edit: If you are not currently getting rock damage between the outside frame rail and the stock rocker why do it?
This.

I've NEVER gotten hung up, or needed rocker protection in the area between the sliders and the frame rail.

You'd gain more than enough protection by getting some nice rock rails with tubes.

I like them because they are different then most of the sliders on the market. Almost every pair of bolt on sliders looks about the same and if these offer the same protection (even with that little bit of modification) I figure why not. The raised slider and boatside cant hurt right? I would love to do the cut out rockers with 2x6 but Im not ready to chop up my pretty new jeep yet so bolt ons are the option for me.

For those who are interested, I found the website through Pirate and its ridesofconover.com and the picture came from Pirate as well. The site doesnt mention the sliders but Im sure if you email or call them they can help.

This.

I've NEVER gotten hung up, or needed rocker protection in the area between the sliders and the frame rail.

You'd gain more than enough protection by getting some nice rock rails with tubes.

^this^

i could see them being useful if you actually gained clearance from them. why reinvent the wheel? sliders work

The only way I see these being of any benefit is if there is a significant weight savings over traditional sliders, while still offering just as much protection.

However, if these are going to actually be effective, they're going to have to be 1/4" plate, and there goes the weight savings.

Now, if someone wanted to make a set of these out of, say 3/16" 5052 aluminum and skin them with UHMW, they might be on to something.

Of coarse, that would probably put them a bit out of most people's price range, for sliders.

I like them because they are different then most of the sliders on the market. Almost every pair of bolt on sliders looks about the same and if these offer the same protection (even with that little bit of modification) I figure why not. The raised slider and boatside cant hurt right? I would love to do the cut out rockers with 2x6 but Im not ready to chop up my pretty new jeep yet so bolt ons are the option for me.

For those who are interested, I found the website through Pirate and its ridesofconover.com and the picture came from Pirate as well. The site doesnt mention the sliders but Im sure if you email or call them they can help.

Which thread did you get those pictures off of?

So the spot where they bolt into the rocker panel, what is on the backside and how do you get it in there?

I don't see those lasting long. My AJ's sliders eventually crushed the rockers on both sides and completely disformed the floorboards.

Which thread did you get those pictures off of?

There are a few pictures of the whole jeep in this thread, http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11523516&highlight=#post11523516

and the picture of the rockers is from this thread, http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11523490&highlight=#post11523490

SN- ridesofconover, I dont think they are on often, took them 2 or 3 weeks to respond when I first asked about them.

Sunburned, I cant think of any way to get behind the stock rocker panel and I definitely dont think self tappers would suffice there. I asked how they mount so whenever I get a response they will explain.

I know this thread is old, but I am full widthing my XJ, and Brandon (owner of Rides of Conover) is my go to guy.

The only forum he really uses is http://Nc4x4.com he is on there all the the time.

Hes going to modify my radius arms for me, and probably do these boatsides on my xj in the next month.

Ive dealt with them many, many times, and they are great to work with.

Back