• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does 2001 have lighted key slot?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently picked up a 2001 to replace my '96 XJ. So far I'm loving it and just going thru and double checking and changing fluids, etc...

My '96 has a round key light in the ignition column that's a nice feature and it appears my '01 does as well. However, the '01 doesn't actually light up and I was wondering if this was an actual feature and if there's just a bulb I can replace. I'd like to know before I pull the plastic housing off and go to town to replace.

Also, noticed that the hazard switch doesn't actually engage the hazard lights on the '01. ... so perhaps there is simply something that's come loose or has a bad connection in the steering column?

This is not crazy important, but I'd like to fix if it's something that even needs it. Thanks.

My '96 has a round key light in the ignition column that's a nice feature and it appears my '01 does as well. However, the '01 doesn't actually light up and I was wondering if this was an actual feature and if there's just a bulb I can replace. I'd like to know before I pull the plastic housing off and go to town to replace.

Nope; 2000 and 2001 didn't have that. Not sure about '97-'99, but I believe that that ended with the body style change.

Also, noticed that the hazard switch doesn't actually engage the hazard lights on the '01. ... so perhaps there is simply something that's come loose or has a bad connection in the steering column?

Turn indicator switch, which is an assembly that includes the indicator stalk and the hazard light switch. It's not uncommon for them to fail in this year. They aren't bad to replace as long as you've got the tilt column; about the worst part is getting the steering column cover to line up properly when it goes back on.

No lit key slot on the newer steering columns.

My 2000 has a similar problem with the hazard indicator. I find that if I turn them on then turn the left turn signal on the hazards work.

Xeleventybillion on the light up keyhole.

With respect to the hazards I've noticed that switching them back and forth several times sometimes works to free them up.

Thanks all! So strange that it looks like the surround of the key slot is luminous... Oh well. The Overhead light stays on until the key-on position w/is something my '96 didn't have.

Thanks for the tip of switching the hazard off/on several times to see if she frees up. If not, no biggie... will fix that down the road.

I think the key slot light was unique to 95-96, which used a Chrysler column with a mechanical airbag. It's about the only good thing about that column design. Aside from the little horn buttons, I often found myself accidentally turning on the wipers when I signaled, and the intermittent wiper switch has fewer speeds than either the earlier or later ones. It's also damn near impossible to take the instrument bezel off without breaking it, because the old bezel design was not changed for the new column jacket.

Back