• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump?

99_XJ_

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ (details in signature) is not running... at all. I was headed down the local highway when it just cuts out completely. just flat out died. I though i may have had a lot of moisture in the tank because i knew i wasnt out of gas. guage said that i had a little over an eighth of a tank left. a guy with AAA called a van and they brought out some gas.. still didn't do it. it took a lot of work to get started but once it did start it was fine. went to the gas station and filled it with some water remover and things were fine. about an hour later i was at the parking lot at my campus. i had gotten a snack along the way and i was still fairly early. with the vehicle still on (idling for like 15 mins) i put it in gear along with turning on the def. for fogged windows. move maybe 10 feet and its idling at like 500 rpms and the gas pedal is not responsive. it moves for another 5 feet and flat out dies.

A few hours later I have it towed and get some tools to see whats going on.

1. Fuel pressure is 00. Pump does not even prime. Switched relays in power distribution box with starter relay. Still no prime.

2. Check engine light does normal diagnostic blink when ignition is turned to on. However, it does come on for the duration of the key being in start (turning the motor over). Never noticed the second part. is that normal?

3. Checked for codes - no codes.

My bet is the fuel pump went out... any ideas? if it is what is the method of replacing it?

If you have no pressure at the rail and ALL the fuses are good (under the dash as well as under the hood) I would say you need a new fuel pump, my friend.

It's not super hard just:
-disconnect the battery- very important!
-remove the gas tank skid
-support the gas tank on a jack or something
-loosen the straps that hold up the gas tank and lower tank a few inches
-disconnect the wiring going to the pump (easier from the front), remove the filler tube and fuel return lines
-remove the tank from the vehicle
-remove the lock ring off the top of the tank
-carefully remove the pump assembly from the tank

Installation is the exact opposite of the above. Good luck with it.

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. It turned out to be my Crank case Positioning Sensor. Might be worth a look.

Might test for 12 volts back near the pump OR jumper 12 volt to pump to confirm that pump is good/bad first.

Good Luck,
Orange

Switch - I replaced the crank sensor a while back. While it is not exibiting the same symptoms as it did last time i will definately be sure to check that route before i go tearing out my gas tank.

Orange- also a good point. will also do that before getting to committed with the blasted tank.

ALSO!!! can anyone tell me the size of the nuts/bolts that hold the tank to the Heep? and what tools are needed as far as he fuel pump assembly? will i need one of those fancy cheap chrome plated plastic line separators to get the line off the pump? I could not tow the heep to my house due to road conditions. My jeep picked a bad snow storm to break down... three days ago it was 60 degrees and no snow.. now its a brisk 18 degrees and a fresh 5 inches of fluff on the ground... and to boot, the jeep is on an incline... with the aft end going downhill... OH the fun this will be =]

Stay away from cheap pumps. (Airtex is one of them) You get what you pay for here. My preference is Bosch, when it is available.

Here is a link to an article that you should read. It will give you an idea as to what you will need to do. I recommend replacing the entire fuel pump assembly while you are doing this. Some guys replace certain components.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/fuel-filter-pump-replacement-97s-up-138580/

I have a complete pump assembly that I'd sell to you cheap, if you want. I replaced it in my jeep because the FPR wasn't maintaining pressure at the rail, causing it to take about 5-10 seconds to cranking to get it started, but the pump is fine. Let me know!

Nevermind. its not the fuel pump. It's the fuel pump pigtail. the orange wire has coroded and had broke off. part of the wire is still stuck in the actual plastic connector. My idea is to just splice the orange wire (the one thats broke). problem is i do not know which wire to splice with the orange wire.... Can someone tell me what wire to splice to the orange one? thanks guys.

Where is it broken, the connector to the wiring harness or the connector on the pump body / tank bulkhead?

I believe the orange wire is the +12 volt power source, splice it to whatever goes into the matching hole on the other side of the connector.

For future reference, the tank J-bolts are part number J3240023, I find it easier to just buy new ones from funjeepsparts.com for 2 bucks each (after shipping, it cost me 3 bucks each when I bought a dozen) and cut the old bolts in half. The threads are 3/8-16 UNC, not sure what size wrench, maybe 9/16" or 5/8"? Get new stainless steel nylock nuts and stainless steel washers at home depot for like 5 bucks total, new bolts, cut the old ones and toss em out. Seems you probably got lucky and don't have to drop the tank this time around though.

I did get lucky... Spliced the orange wire with the green wire w/ white stripe and she runs like a raped ape now. That was a close call that one was.. As to why only the orange wire corroded is beyond me..

Thanks for all the great help guys!

Back