• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Overhead Console Build

WrenchedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Starting, a few issues I am having to overcome:

1.) with the doors off, I cannot hear the back speakers over the tires and exhaust.

2.) I have found as many of you that CB mounting locations are few and far between. Less than I imagined when I found my Cobra 25LTD and remembered how big it was. The first location I had considered was under the heating controls in the vent. It would be a perfect fit, and I would LOVE to put it there. But the amount of work that it would take to seal off the box to stop air from flowing through the vent is a bit more work than I'd like to tackle. Time will tell though.

Playing on my Autocad at work in dead time, here is what I came up with for configuration 1:

XJOHC.jpg

Its going to be 48" from front to back(in preparation if I finally gather myself to chop the back). 7.5" across. It'll have a pocket for a CB. also, housing 6.5" speakers.Think 4 will be too many? Dome light in the middle will be the factory one. I'll pick up another out at the JY for the front. Any ideas, comments, or suggestions?

4 6.5" speakers next to your head? your gonna go deaf lol

i think 2 or even 1 will be fine, it's going to be right in your face. other than that i like it, looking forward to seeing a finished product

If you have the doors off going down the road on windy days and tailgate ambulances with people in the back seat, then yes, 4 6.5" speakers, sure.
Otherwise you might get away with 2 ;)

4 6.5" speakers next to your head? your gonna go deaf lol

i think 2 or even 1 will be fine, it's going to be right in your face. other than that i like it, looking forward to seeing a finished product

x2, and I've driven with the doors off before.

4 is extremely unnecessary.

ha. Very true. While brainstorming, my buddy, who is Army Field Artillery, came up with the 4. I thought it was over kill to for me, maybe not for him. Revision: 2 for radio output, 1 for external speaker for the CB.

Back