• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can Not Get Into Gear???

XJBeast96

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a new clutch,pressure plate,throwout bearing,slave cylinder,and flywheel. I used a vac bleeder to bleed clutch. Have a steady stream of fluid from slave bleeder.I can not get the transmission to go into any gear with it running.I can put it in first and start the engine and it lurches forward. I do not know what else to look for, Could the throwout bearing have moved on the throwout fork where the flat tabs may not be hiting the fork?????
Thanks in advance...aaron

95 XJ 4.0 5 speed ax-15 with external slave 2wd

There's a spring clip that holds the throwout fork to a ball joint on the opposite side of the slave--maybe it came off? First remove slave and see if you can push the fork and see it return to its position. Also, there is a flywheel side and a pressure plate side to the clutch--hopefully you have it in the correct orientation.

IIRC, there's also a plastic tip on the end of the slave cylinder. If that's not there, the clutch will never disengage fully.

the spring clips on the new throw out bearing, are they supposed to be fastened some way to the throwout fork? I just lined them up with the slots on the fork. I think that may be the problem

I do recall there being 2 different ways that the spring clips could be mounted(and having thought "this way or that"). . .

Back