• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Eagle

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a buddy that has a '80s Jeep eagle with all wheel drive. I don't know much about them, but was wondering if the axels were worth swapping over to an XJ.

Anyone know what they came with, are the axles wide enough, and did they come with good axles?

good, bad, ugly ???

The front is independent suspension, so you won't be wanting that. The rear axle should be an AMC corporate axle, probably not a Model 20, so maybe a Model 18. I'm not sure of that. What I am fairly sure of is that you wouldn't be gaining anything by trying to swap it into an XJ. More than likely the rear hubs are splined onto the axle shafts. I've seen the hubs spin the splines off on that type of axle, so that's another reason why you shouldn't bother.

Eagle - are you sure about that front? (second edit) Apparently so; the Eagle had a drivers-side drop to a front axle bolted to the engine. Out back, I don't recall but read a few items online saying there was a D35 in the later model years. I wouldn't say the axles are worth much to a Cherokee builder...

For those of you who aren't sure what this icon of hideous AMC stylin' is about, there are pics and info at http://www.n0kfb.org/homepage/amc/eagle/spotting/ Just cover the kiddos eyes so they aren't traumatized....

80eagle1_752948.gif

Last edited:
Back