• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Back Spacing

Turtle

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched. My friend gave me a set of 5 Super Swampers 31x11.5x15, So I am going to buy some steelies. Everything I see here is stating to run 3.75" or 4" back space on a 15x8 wheel.

From what I can tell the 3.75" would give me more room, is this correct, and if so is it necessary, or better? It saves me $50 going with a 4" BS with a rebate from Discount Tire, but do not want to compromise just for $50.

You're correct that 3.75" backspacing pushes the wheel farther out than 4" would, but I think either should be fine with 11.5" wide tires. Lots of folks run 12.5's with 4" of backspacing.

Either is definitely better than the stock 5.25". The most common BS for wheels for our XJ's seems to be 4" I would say for that small amount the extra 50$ isn't THAT worth it.

I was just thinking that after airing down and flexing the tire the extra room might be good.

I run a 35x12.5 on 4.75" backspacing with no problems after winding out the steering stops a little (we have a lot of legal issues here with increased wheel track and flare coverage etc) I also ran the same wheels with 32x11.5 again with no problems, in fact it was ideal at that size. 3.75 backspacing will put a lot more load on the hubs and you'll wear them quicker, with the choice of the two I'd go 4" backspacing.

Cheers
Steve

Great info! I thought about the hubs, and the flares maybe needing to be bigger. They do also offer a 4.75" for the same cost. So 4.75" would work and would be ideal with this tire size?

This is a 32x11.5 on 15x8 with 4.75 backspacing. Aftermarket control arms stop it rubbing but it's close :) I was very happy with this setup though, even better when I put the bushwacker flat flares on.

Wheels018.jpg

Cheers
Steve

I cant be sure that the tyres wont rub at full look on stock control arms, they certainly didn't rub on my RE arms.

Cheers
Steve

Back