• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro Comp leaf springs performance report

ElDiaOctavo

NAXJA Forum User
Some time back I bought a pair of Pro Comp leaf springs from Summit Racing. The cost was $230 delivered via UPS. They are much cheaper than anything else I found, like half the cost. Since I'm using my '94 as a DD and not getting extreme with it, I decided to go cheap. OK...here's the good, bad, and ugly on these springs.

1. They were supposed to lift 2.5" or so. Turned out to be more like 4" or 4.5"...or it seems that way. My shocks now limit axle travel...until they fail. I'm sure I'll yank the brake line off someday...gotta fix that, too.

2. They are so spring-ey they'll give you whiplash or brain damage or both.

3. 250 pounds of water softener salt in the back calms them right down and they become pretty nice for non-OEM springs. Honestly, they won't irritate you - you'll know you don't have OEM springs but they won't drive you insane. Take the salt bags out...it's grim....barely tolerable.

4. The springs came with bushings installed AND a steel shim installed. That was a pleasant surprise - not having to buy bushings, install them, then run around trying to find shims when you discover your driveline angle is screewed up. This is a big plus in my book and it saves a LOT of money (bushings are $12 each x 4 and shims got to be $10 each...plus all the grief in finding them, shipping, tax, etc. Pro-comp's way is more better.)

5. Needed longer u-bolts...that cost $40. I've got dozens of u-bolts laying around...none of them fit so I had to buy new. If the old ones would have fit, I'd have used them.

So, I've got a grand total of $270 in them and they lifted the body up nicely and came with bushings and shims installed.

I would buy them again...but realize they are not Old Man Emu's and they are not going to ride nice. If I was rock crawling only, who cares, but this is a grocery getter, winter beater.

The stance is not bad with 1 and 3/4 inch pucks up front with fresh coils (DPO installed them). Clearance is excellent and the look is nice with 31".

Bottom line is el-cheapo Pro Comps and pucks make a very nice lift for very little money. Downside is the ride.

My summer project is to take them out, pull a leaf, and install a leaf from my OEM springs to see if that calms things down and drops the height an inch or so. I'll report back when and if I get aroudn to that...

TTFN.

I loved those springs when I had them in the back of my YJ. Now i've got them waiting to go into the XJ(YJ now runs 52" rancho chevy springs). The only thing i'm changing is I'm adding a military wrap spring to the pack.

I have the Procomp 4" springs and there alright.

They ride decent but thats about it

There to soft
The poly bushings squeak
They wrap easy (See to soft)

They were still a decent buy because of the price. Just holding me over until I link it or buy Alcans

I bought the 3.5" leafs about '07 when I did my lift, I think 4WP screwed up when they billed me for them and got both for about $90, with bushings, shims, and overload leafs.
It did set pretty tall when I first put them on, but they did eventually settle some, and finally completely settled after I wheeled on them
This is about 4 months on them:
l_c3eccdd33f77f9187524f93ffe5809cd.jpg

After a few wheeling trips:
DSCF0088.jpg

Thanks for the encouraging comments on the ride and ride height. I had about 400 pounds in back the other day and it rode beautiful.

I don't mind the height so much...except I'll have to buy shocks...because I use this to haul trailers and whatnot. Having some springs out back is not a bad thing when you have 500 pounds of tongue weight on the hitch.

I have the Procomp 4" springs and there alright.

They ride decent but thats about it

There to soft
The poly bushings squeak
They wrap easy (See to soft)

They were still a decent buy because of the price. Just holding me over until I link it or buy Alcans

Mine came with ordinary rubber bushings and I'm OK with that.

I agree with you on the poly bushings...I've never used them for that reason. I know they outlast, tighten up, and all that good stuff...but can't stand the squeaky squeaky squeak squeak squeak squeak...drives me postal.

I don't know what "wrap" is - are you talking about shudder under hard acceleration, like when the pinion angle is wrong?

Back