• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 3rd gear

trevanator

NAXJA Forum User
I just have a quick question. When I put my transmission into 3rd I get four gears out of it. At first I thought I was just crazy but several times I counted from starting at a dead stop and it shifted 3 times so four gears. Is that right? is it not really 3rd gear or is it supposed to be and mine just isnt?
Not that I am terribly worried about it but I am just curious if my AW4 is not correct.
Thanks.

After it reaches 3rd gear the torque converter will lock. You're probably feeling it lock. When it actually locks will depend largely upon throttle position.

when it locks do the rpms drop as well? Because that is what I am seeing as well it goes first shifts rmps drop into second then shifts rpms drop into third and then what feels like another shift and the rpms drop again as if it was going into fourth gear. If that is it locking then that is great but I am not sure transmissions are not my specialty lol. Thanks for the info though Paul I appreciate it.

Back