• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD II scan tool / DRB scan tool

coyotefong

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Cherokee, I-6, 4.0 L, AW-4

I'm replacing an engine in my jeep. The donor engine is older (year unknown) but it did have a distributor. I have already found the TDC and have installed the Oil pump drive and the Cam shaft posistion sensor. The book tells me that after I have installed the engine I need to verify the correct rotational posistion of the oil pump drive. To do this they say I need a DRB scan tool, well I don't have a few thousand dollars to purchase this tool.

Will a OBD II scan tool acomplish the same thing? I was looking at this;

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9580-...b_auto_title_1

Are you changing out the entire wiring harness and ecu from the donor engine?

Sorry, I should have provided more info. I have switched the sensors and such (intake and exhuast manifolds, oil pump drive and camshaft position sensor) from my 2000 engine to the older engine. All wiring and computers from the newer engine will be kept. But since I'm replacing the "old" distributor with my Oil pump drive and camshaft position sensor I had to find TDC and then line up the mark on the wheel (sorry drawing a blnk on the correct name) with the "0" on the timing chain cover.

I have installed all that and I have found TDC and lined up the marks....this all went fine. The book then tells me to double check the position (once the engine is running) of the oil pump drive and camshaft posistion sensor with a DRB scan tool. From the search I did DRB scan tools are quite expensive.

Since I wanted to get a scan tool (would be nice to have my own), I wanted to know if a OBD II scan tool would tell me the correct position of the oil pump drive and camshaft posistion sensor?

Cam shaft position sensor is easy to set. No need for a scan tool. Just set the motor at TDC on the compression stroke. A search will tell you how. Once that is done, the distributor needs to be positioned like is says in the manual. Then you are done.

Cam shaft position sensor is easy to set. No need for a scan tool. Just set the motor at TDC on the compression stroke. A search will tell you how. Once that is done, the distributor needs to be positioned like is says in the manual. Then you are done.

Ok, I have done that. Just worrying out loud. I haven't gotten the engine installed yet (my hoist quite working with the engine half way out of the jeep), and I was reading the FSM and got to worrying. Thanks.

Back