• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

source for small 12v dc fans?

What Rd

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on installing my air compressor under the rear seat, and want to find a couple of small fans to move air through the underseat area and keep the compressor from overheating. I need something small - like the size of computer fans. Any ideas where I can get something like this?
TIA

Whatever fans you put in aren't going to do much if you dont' have cool air to move into the area and a way for the hot air to escape. I would seriously consider a different location. After an afternoon offroading in Colorado, My factory jack was so warm, the gears were binding up. (I was using it in an attempt to un bend my tie bar) In fact, the carpet behind the front passenger seat was almost too hot to touch! If you are dead set on putting it there, i'd just remove the backseat cushion whenoffroading and not worry about the fans.

The repair job I did on the huge hole left in my passenger side floorpan from heat and trapped water made me aware of how warm that side can get. My plan was to block off the underseat space near the center and isolate the compressor on the driver's side. Then put one fan in a hole in the vertical rib under the leading edge of the rear seat, blowing into the space, and another at the other edge of the footwell similarly situated but blowing out.
I don't doubt that it'll still be warm under there, but it can't be any warmer than under the hood where quite a few compressors reside. At least that's my thought. I may be proven wrong.

As for where you can find that type of fan, you already said it. Most computer case fans are 12v dc. I would consider using a small rear heat squirrel cage fan instead of that type. Check your local salvage yard for minivan rear heat/ac fan units. you could probably even modify the housing so that it directs the stream of air. good luck

Computer case fans are 12v dc? I never would have guessed that. Are you sure about that? I know next to nothing about computers, and assumed they must be 110 ac since the thing is plugged into the wall. (shrug)
I like your idea about the salvage rear heat/AC fans - seems like they would move more air than a computer case fan.

The power supply in the 'puter steps everything down to 12V, 5V, or even 3.3V - I'd recommend that squirrel cage modification raceready is talking about

I found 12vdc squirrel cage blowers at Radio Shack. they have 12v fans too.

it would work the way you want to set it up, with enter and exit for air. that front "wall" of the underseat area looks to be the perfect size for computer fans/blowers.

hmm now I gotta find somthing warm to mount there so I can have pimp-fans too....

Antec makes them in neon colors for you pimpers :D
MacMaster/carr has one heck of selection right on up to one you can use in a forge :D

The squirrel cage fans move more air and are directable, I have had to use them on some special applications from customers that are into severe over clocking and don't want liquid cooling in their game boxes.

Radio shack is expensive for fans. You should check out some small computer stores, and also look for one with a heat sink like the type for a chip. I got some for .99 at a discount store.

Color? I'll just rub a little mud on it and call it good.
Thanx for the ideas and info - have some good things to follow up on now.

Back