• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Front Swaybar Link(s)

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finally getting around to putting the new ZJ coils in the front of my 89 XJ LTD. Tonight, when attempting to unbolt the swaybar from the right front axle, the bolt that holds the axle to the swaybar (is that a swaybar link ?) broke right off, and without much effort. I'm assuming the same thing will happen when I do the left hand side.

I'm assuming that this is common. So I guess I need new ones. I don't need disconnects (I think this is where disconnects would go, right?) since I don't do any real off-roading. Keeping in mind that I'm putting in ZJ springs which are apparently about 1" taller than the originals, what are my options - simply go with stock (I was going to reuse the stockers until i broke one - soon to be two) or ??? I guess I should replace the bushings (the rubber pads - is that what they're called?) while I'm at it, or are they typically included with the links?

Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the nube questions.

I'm finally getting around to putting the new ZJ coils in the front of my 89 XJ LTD. Tonight, when attempting to unbolt the swaybar from the right front axle, the bolt that holds the axle to the swaybar (is that a swaybar link ?) broke right off, and without much effort. I'm assuming the same thing will happen when I do the left hand side.

I'm assuming that this is common. So I guess I need new ones. I don't need disconnects (I think this is where disconnects would go, right?) since I don't do any real off-roading. Keeping in mind that I'm putting in ZJ springs which are apparently about 1" taller than the originals, what are my options - simply go with stock (I was going to reuse the stockers until i broke one - soon to be two) or ??? I guess I should replace the bushings (the rubber pads - is that what they're called?) while I'm at it, or are they typically included with the links?

Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the nube questions.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the end links themselves or the axle side stud that they go through.

If you are talking about the stud with the torx head, they are splined an pressed onto the bracket. You can't just unbolt it, you have to press it out. I cut mine in half with cutoff wheel and then used a pitman arm puller to press it out. You rent one from an autoparts store and return it when you are done to get your money back. You can then use a normal bolt to secure aftermarket endlinks.

Last edited:
I just pulled the front sway bar and all attaching hardware from my 89 Ltd and the Torx headed bolts came out with no splines on them.............Maybe that's cuz this is Arizona and the bolts weren't rusted in?

I'm not sure if you are talking about the end links themselves or the axle side stud that they go through.

If you are talking about the stud with the torx head, they are splined an pressed onto the bracket. You can't just unbolt it, you have to press it out. I cut mine in half with cutoff wheel and then used a pitman arm puller to press it out. You rent one from an autoparts store and return it when you are done to get your money back. You can then use a normal bolt to secure aftermarket endlinks.

Hi Keekleberrys:

Thanks for your note. I'm not referring to the torx head stud (at least not yet - hopefully they won't break when I try to take the nut of those). It's the short- about 8 inches - link that sit on that stud that and which has a threaded section on the opposite end - it's that threaded section, that connects to the front swaybar, that broke off.

the disconnect ones can be a little pricier from what ive seen. I have rubicon express non-disconnect ones and I have heard that some guys just put wingnuts on them and make their own disco's im thinking about giving that a try but haven't yet.

I just pulled the front sway bar and all attaching hardware from my 89 Ltd and the Torx headed bolts came out with no splines on them.............Maybe that's cuz this is Arizona and the bolts weren't rusted in?

Mine were just Torx headed screws as well: no splines!

Back