• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Tire & Wheel Combinations, Fender Clearance, Lift Requirement, Axle Ratio Chart

XJ Tire & Wheel Combinations, Fender Clearance, Lift Requirement, Axle Ratio Chart

I have reviewed a bunch of articles, forums, blogs, and tire/wheel retailer websites to create a comprehensive spreadsheet that shows the most common tire & wheel combinations, fender clearance issues (or if trimming is required), lift requirements, and axle gearing ratios.

The spreadsheet is "locked," but anyone can view it at:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...CPafl6IK#gid=0

Please be gentle with me, as a lot of work went into creating this chart. If you think that there are some errors (after considering the footnotes & warnings), then post them here. If enough people agree with a required change then I'll make it so.

Re: XJ Tire & Wheel Combinations, Fender Clearance, Lift Requirement, Axle Ratio Char

Not a bad place to start but only problem is with the way people are setting up their rigs now your going to get alot of conflict. For example I'm running 36''Iroks that measure over 36''. Going by your chart I should be running over 8'' of lift with probably major surgery. I'm at 6.5'' with minor trimming and like the stance, others may say 4.5'' are plenty for my tires.

This is why you don't see charts like that here, lift vs tire size is going to be mostly opinion here. Everyone is going to have a different one

Re: XJ Tire & Wheel Combinations, Fender Clearance, Lift Requirement, Axle Ratio Char

Yeah there is no set way of doing things Esp when "minor trimming " is not a quantifiable amount. Currently Im sitting at 33 12.5 on 15x8 with 4.5 re lift and nothing rubs with my version of "minor trimming"

nice work.

but...

there are so many setups out there for different purposes, and this chart won't please many people.

35's fit easily on a 4.5" with just as much trimming as an 8".

and im not sure what speed the rpm is calculated at. but with 35's and 5.38's im at around 2800 at 65 mph. 3500 rpm's comes in around 85 mph

1st kudos on doing the research and putting it into one coherent spreadsheet.
2nd the gear ratio chart is nice, that's a good reference to start from
3rd i don't really agree with the numbers on there but i think it would be a decent chart for noobs to reference.

sure everybody runs different setups but i would think that most people who are comfortable with removing sheet metal are not all that new to the off road world

you forgot one of the most popular tire sizes 33x12.50. But other than that nice job man.

nice work.

but...

there are so many setups out there for different purposes, and this chart won't please many people.

35's fit easily on a 4.5" with just as much trimming as an 8".

and im not sure what speed the rpm is calculated at. but with 35's and 5.38's im at around 2800 at 65 mph. 3500 rpm's comes in around 85 mph

The gear ratios shown are for 55 mph and a manual transmission. Other factors such as modified transfer cases, automatic transmissions, etc. will all change the final rpm's at various speeds.

I'd like to hear what RPM's others are ACTUALLY getting at 55mph - with certain tire sizes and manual v auto-transmissions. I can create some additional columns.

Some WIDTHS with minor references, were left out for expediency sake. 12.5's only appeared a few times in all of the articles that I read.

33x10.50 is a much more rare tire size than 33x12.50. 33x12.50 isn't even 'rare'.

Meh, lots of work but like everybody has said, a lot of it is opinion. Btw you show that with a rim width of 8" the max tire width is 11.50. I'm running 33x12.50s on 15x8 Cragar soft 8s. Required lift column is a fail tbh.

I have had my Jeep and been into off-roading for 8 years now and I have never seen a set of true 33x11.50 or 33x12.50 tires. I'm sure I have seen some metrics that would come close to those specs but never seen any standard sizes. Like coldoath said the rule of thumb for rim width and tire width is 15x7 is good for up to 11.50 while 15x8 can handle 12.50 and a little wider just fine. I have 15x8 rims with my 33x12.50r15 tires. I have read alot of articles too over the years and thought alot of the information provided by those articles were skewed to completely inaccurate. I learned what I know through real world observations and experience.

First up gotta say thats a lot of work and not an easy job pulling that all together.

I dont think I've seen an XJ with 8" of lift here in Australia. I run 35x12.5 with 5" of lift and 4" of bumpstop, with the flat flares it all just fits :) I wouldn't go higher than this.

At full stuff

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

As an aside I make up for reduce up travel by running some long shocks and picking it up in down travel.

Cheers
SteVE

it does say "at full stuff" so i am guessing that there is no more up travel. looks as if he as set up his suspension to allow JUST enough up travel to not rub.

Boy, that tire is MM from the fender well. Sure doesn't leave much room for suspension travel.

I thought the pic of the spring and bumpstops sort of explained it ;) But just so there is no confusion........

IMG_3624.jpg

Cheers
Steve

How much lift do you have on there?
When you "gain it on the down travel," do you have limit straps or something to prevent it from over reaching (or is there nothing that can go wrong from over extending on the down travel)?

This noob appreciates your efforts -- nice spreadsheet. Six years ago I put in a 1.5" lift (EMU), and then...with almost no research put in new 7" rims (with the wrong backspacing) and 235/75's. I'm finally getting around to doing the research to either get the right wheels and tires and/or adjust my gearset to recover the power I've lost. This gives me a great starting point. Thanks!

Back