• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a little drive train advice

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Installing some new front u-joints into my 96 XJ soon and I sure hope that gets rid of the thud in my front left. Makes a thud every tire rotation, really annoying. Probably should have gotten on this 6 months ago.

Anyhow, here's a pic of the ones coming out

4.jpg

Yeah, I know.

So... I've been recommended to replace them with, depending on which model the axle turns out to be, either the Spicer 260X or 297X.

In the middle of discussing all this someone mentioned that there should be some sort of grease retaining rings around where you see all that rust. I'm just sort of a novice mechanic, but since I do all my own greasing that sounded like a good idea to me. Which brings me to my questions..

Does anyone know if the these two Spicer u-joints come with these grease retaining rings? And if not, is there another comparable replacement u-joint on the market that does?

Thanks for the help.

1652502.jpg

Note the black seals that will come with the new u-joint(s).

Back