• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Plug wires, what brand do you use?

b5blue

NAXJA Forum User
I just got new wires from a company called "Firecore" made for my XJ. They made the ones I use on my 70 Charger's 440 six pack and was so impressed at the difference in quality of spark performance that I just had to get them for for the XJ also. As mine are the very first set I'll be checking fitment closely and let you know how they work out. Firecore is adding them to their list of availability and though not cheap, they are 2nd to none in performance and quality, made right here in USA.
Having owned and run hard many muscle cars and 4X4's I know how tempting it is to cut corners and what it can cost you, usually at the worst time later. I'm determined to give this XJ only the best parts I can get to give it the best chance of lasting a long time. b5

I stay away from "el-cheapo" wires. You get what you pay for! I have had good luck with Belden. Napa carries them. A good compromise between price and performance.

The last time I replaced the cap, rotor, & wires, I picked up Mopar Performance at the local dealership. Cheaper than stock, and even beat the local aftermarket. <shrug> Been running fine for several years. I could go out to the garage now, and it'd be running in less than 2 turns (sits in the garage all winter.)

The new Firecores fit just fine and are massive compared to stock. The XJ responded nicely to to the greatly improved spark, smoother idle and more "zippy" driving around. I used an Airtex/Wells premium cap and rotor with brass fittings and NGK "V Power" plugs. Next I'll replace the old oxygen sender (very old, possibly original!) and install the new emission vacuum lines I got from NAPA and I'll be good to go!

I run Duralast or Belden, depending on what parts store I go to after buying a new jeep.

Haven't had to get a second new set yet, none of them have racked up that many miles. The MJ will get a new set when I have the motor out to swap the transmission and replace all the gaskets probably, I never did get around to installing new plugs/wires/cap on it and might as well do it at the same time as everything else.

My suspicion is that new plugs and cap/rotor makes a much bigger difference than new wires, but I end up wrecking the wires when I pull them off all old and crusty to replace the plugs and cap so I just get new ones.

I need to change my plugs soon, but when I got my XJ, I got the Accel Super-tune kit, comes with plugs/wires/cap/rotor. They are 8.8mm, dont necessarily NEED them, but the set of wires if you bought sperate from the kit cost just as much.

Swapped in a set of Taylor 8.2mm's, $41 off Summit - cheaper than stock replacements at the local AutoZone. Couldn't be happier with 'em.

Heard nothing but good things about Firecore's products in the past. If I hadn't already swapped wires over last month I probably would've waited for theirs to come out.

Back