• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on gearing?!

Dannomanno

NAXJA Forum User
Ok doin my first cherokeeand I have already assembled a junkyard lift(bastard pack,zj coils,spacers) for around 4 inches of lift and I have added a set of 33's. Now I need to gigure out my gearing... Oh btw it is a 30 in front 35 in the rear. I drive it everyday, but I also am going to use it as a hardcore rig. As it is right now even at highway speeds 60-70mph I am still in 4th gear at around 2500-3000rpm. As soon as I hit a trail though It becomes massively underpowered. I have to use 4low just to get up a good climb.

I guess my question is what gearing has worked for the applications that I need. I would like to hear from people that runn the gears they are talkin about please. Tell me pros and cons of all my options. Thanks for your help guys.

honestly, start by getting rid of the d35. its weak and not worth polishing a turd. A 29 spline 8.25 or an xj d44 can easily be found, especially on here. as for gearing, i personally dont know... yet. i have 35's and 3.55's but the 4.88's are in the garage, i just need to save up some more $$$.

I run 33'a and I love my 4:56's, I wish I had a tad bit more power at 60-65 in 5th gear but my Jeep cruises nicely at 70. If I had to do it again I'd even consider 4:88s but I'm not sure if that's a major turning point in the strength of the pinion. I know you don't want to gear it down too much because then the pinion gets too small. If you do the math, if you go to 33's then some where around 4:10's are back to stock gearing so 4:10's to 4:56's are perfect. I agree, get rid of that axle and find your self a 44. You'll be happy you did!

4.10's are probably not quite ideal, but my game plan saved money. I am picking up a 4.10 hp30 ($80) from a NAXJA member and have a 4.10 Ford 8.8 LSD from an Explorer installed($250.00 car-part.com). For the money I saved on re-gearing I had money to get an Aussie locker for the front ($220.00). Great rear axle with better gearing and brakes, 4 wheel discs, great traction.

Back