• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long leaf spring options

aintright

NAXJA Forum User
your list is pretty comprehensive, but I want to say people were talking about Nissan Titan main leafs for use in our Jeeps.
No idea on lengths, or measurements, but another place for you to look if nothing else.

thanks for the heads up about that. i'll check through my lists.

i just haven't been able to find any info on spring length for bigger trucks. i.e. duece and a halfs, five tons. other vehicles i haven't heard of etc...

don't really want wider springs. just looking for options for the right length. as everything sits now i'll need a leaf spring that has a "b" measurment close to 35" so i can mount it to the rear bumper and still keep my stock wheelbase

Some use S-10 leaf springs to extend wheelbase.

Well, for the s-10 leafs depending on where the center pin is, flipping them around MAY give him the correct position needed since he is running the leafs farther back. Sounds more like a Shackle relocation bracket would be a good option too.

don't really want wider springs. just looking for options for the right length. as everything sits now i'll need a leaf spring that has a "b" measurment close to 35" so i can mount it to the rear bumper and still keep my stock wheelbase

Well, for the s-10 leafs depending on where the center pin is, flipping them around MAY give him the correct position needed since he is running the leafs farther back. Sounds more like a Shackle relocation bracket would be a good option too.

Strike two.

He wants the longer rear section so that he can move the shackle to the rear bumper and avoid using the stock hanger at all.

I don't have any measurements for you at the moment but I run a bastard pack with 05 dakota main leafs and H.D. offroad shackle re-locator brackets with ranger shackels. It extended my wheelbase 1" (no rubbing issues with 4.5" lift and 33's.) but with the right hangers and boomerang shackles you might be able the mount them to your rear bumper. I will mention they drag on everything when i wheel though.

i've looked at the measurments of lots of springs. flipping them around is fine if one length from the eye to the center pin is at least 35in. i don't really care what the other measurment is, as i can just move the frame side mount where ever it needs to be.

i'll get some pictures of what i'm talking about tomorrow

if your willing to move both the front spring mount, and the rear spring mount, why are you looking for a certain length?
if your building a bumper able to mount leafs to/on, then you should have a few inches of play one way or another for building the mounts off of.
same for the front/frame mounts as you say, find some springs, and weld the mounts where you need them.
the longer the springs, I'd say the better the flex... however the higher the chance of spring wrap, need for a ladder bar set up.

i need the length to keep the stock wheelbase in the rear. for my setup i don't want to stretch it at all.

though i suppose i could redo some numbers and see how far forward i could move the frame side axle mount.

thanks for the heads up. for some reason i was only thinking of moving the frame side mount like and inch or two

well you have the option of;
moving the rear frame(bumper) mount around a bit (1-2")
moving the front frame mount where you need it
&
using leaf perches which move the center of the leaf spring a few inches forward or back

using one, or more of those options means you don't have to limit your spring lengths to specifics... if your putting all this thought/effort into moving leaf mounts, why limit yourself to specific leaf lengths?

ok so i just went out and stared at the jeep for a bit. the 35" center pin to eye is kind of a must if i want to keep a lcg.

moving the bumper back any would require waaaay too much work. the tank is sunk into the floor and the bumper is welded solid to the frame, which is plated all around.

i could move the center pin mount on the perch. but that still only knocks off like an inch, maybe two.

which most springs seem to be 32" or less

i suppose i could get some 64" chevy springs and just redrill the center pin hole.

(just thought of that)

Last edited:
thank you! damnit. why didn't i look at the cars too!?!?!?

one more option to add to the list

thanks for all the ideas guys

so here is a new question. how does the length of the"a/b" measurments affect axle wrap when sprung over?

I would think the shorter the length of A the better control of wrap there would be since it acts like a control arm.

Bascially, the front of the perch tries to push up on the leaf spring. If you take that as point 1, and the front leaf spring bolt as point 2, the shorter the distance between the two the harder it is to bend that length.

Hard to explain, but I can picture it in my head.

Back