• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with cruise

Pinklady

NAXJA Forum User
ok.......so I have a 2000 xj with no cruise rihgt (bites) however I have access to a 2002 wj that has cruise :) can I take those components and move them to my xj?? help!!! thanx THE pinklady

ok.......so I have a 2000 xj with no cruise rihgt (bites) however I have access to a 2002 wj that has cruise :) can I take those components and move them to my xj?? help!!! thanx THE pinklady

AFAIK the parts from a WJ are not compatable.....
You can use the parts from a TJ '97-01 or a '97-01 XJ.

Try searching NAXJA's Main and Chapter FOR SALE sections; there are always members parting out damaged Jeeps.

Last edited:
The switches for the CC are compatable as follows:
96 down
99 up

Different resistor values in the switches...

I believe the servo is the same 97 up.

Pretty close o-gauge-steamer...
94-down are all the same iirc (RENIX experts, thoughts?)
95-96 are the same
97-98 are the same
99-01 are the same.

97-98 vs 99-01 is just resistance value, they will bolt in but won't work. Check part numbers, it is the same part number except for the last two letters, you need to compare against a parts catalog to find out what year a specific set works in unless you take them out of the donor vehicle yourself.

You need to replace the clockspring also, it's cruise specific, all 97-01 are fine donors but you may as well pull it from the same jeep you get the switches out of.

AFAIK WJ parts won't fit. I could be wrong.

Try jeepsareus.com they may have a whole new unit.

I went though the process of adding cruise to my '99XJ. As already stated you the Grand Cherokee parts will not work for your application. You will need cruise control switches from a '99-'01 XJ (maybe TJs would work). You will have to replace the clock spring as well. You have to get one from a 97+ XJ that never had the air bags deployed (if using JY parts). In addition to that you will need the wiring that goes between the two switches to the clock spring. You should only need the servo for under the hood. The rest of the wiring is already there.

I parted mine together from used parts. Some JY and some eBay. You can get all new factory parts, but you will pay.

Mea Culpa...
I stand corrected! You can get a complete Mopar kit but the cost is insane. You can find them on eBay if nothing else. Far less expensive to raid your local pull and pay. At least the OP's XJ will not require a different air bag like my 98 did. I believe that starting in 99, Jeep standardized the bag and put plastic fillers in the CC switch positions.

You will need a steering wheel puller to get at the clockspring and general hand tools for the rest.

Parts List:
Both wheel switches.
Clockspring.
Servo.
Vacuum line from the servo to the Tee.
Might as well grab the securing hardware for the servo...

Pretty close o-gauge-steamer...
94-down are all the same iirc (RENIX experts, thoughts?)
95-96 are the same
97-98 are the same
99-01 are the same.

97-98 vs 99-01 is just resistance value, they will bolt in but won't work. Check part numbers, it is the same part number except for the last two letters, you need to compare against a parts catalog to find out what year a specific set works in unless you take them out of the donor vehicle yourself.

You need to replace the clockspring also, it's cruise specific, all 97-01 are fine donors but you may as well pull it from the same jeep you get the switches out of.

AFAIK WJ parts won't fit. I could be wrong.

Back