• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low lift and long arms

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
this may be a dumb question, but with straps i could run long arms with my current lift? i like staying low, LCG is my goal. but i want a nice amount of flex to keep my tires on the ground. i've been thinking about a set up that would keep my low and still flex like a beast. long arms, 2" lift coils, extended brakelines, and limit straps to stop droop about where the top of the coil gets close to the bump buckets. to me this sounds awesome, but im sure there is a flaw with my plan im not thinking of. please some input would be nice.

-Ian

Depends on the links.

I couldn't run 2" of lift with mine because my LCAs have a bend in them. They would be sitting on the frame... If the lcas were straight or inboard the frame rails I don't see why you couldn't.

just know that if you want massive droop with only 2" of lift, you will need to bump stop like crazy due to minimal uptravel. there is no point in having droop that allows you to drop the coil off the top of the bucket

you'll need to build custom links.. a mid arm would work best at that height... though i loved my old rig at 3" with shortarms. staying low is only half the battle, its really about balance. what tire size you plan on running?

please some input would be nice.
-Ian

Keep your short arms. Move the axle bracketry up for ground clearance, and the arms should be level. You'll get more than enough flex with a 10-12" travel shock, but you'll probably need to relocate the lower shock mount depending on shock length. Get under there and mock it up.
As mentioned above, it's about balance. No point in ridiculous droop if you have get out and put the coil back in during a hill climb. Unless you wheel rti ramps..

i'm kind of in the same boat here, or rather will be. i was planning on a mid arm type set up with 2in or so of lift. running 35's. my plan was to either french the lca into the "frame" or inboard them to tuck them up. what do you think would be better?

sorry for the thread jack,

i have run longarms at as low as 2.5" over stock.

i wouldnt do it again.

midarms and/or axle bracket relocation.

im more than happy with 10" travel shocks. i used to run 12's but my droop was just silly, useless and hurt me in places

hmm, when cash allows i want to run 35's. and i could probably run 33's with some serious trimming right now. i've had an XJ that was at 6+" with long arms i loved wheeling the poopoo out of it, but it fell over too much. which is why i want a lcg.

i've never heard of this mid arm. i assume its some where between a short arm and long arm.

thanks. i was thinking frenching the lca into the frame would be cool. but way to much work and i'd be able to move the arm the few inches back much easier by inboarding the mounts

Anyone have pictures of the axle bracketry moved up? I'm pretty intrigued by this idea. Sounds like that'd be the best way to go.

I wouldn't move the lowers above the centerline of the axle tubes... Just sounds like bad physics to me.

they don't need to be above the centerline. mine are about flush with the axletube. about a billiondy people run thier link setups like this

Back