• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent need of help with a rear drive line

Norsk62

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 Cherokee sport. 4.0 L AX4 tranny with a NP231 transfer case lifted 4". I recently scored a rebuilt NP231 with a AA SYE. Hears the question.

Now I need a drive line to fit it all together. A CV style.

This combination is pretty common, but the drive line shops all want you to climb under your rig and measure the distance between the yokes at normal ride heigth? Even Tom Woods. With the exception of coast drivelines, everyone else needs measurements? Coast says it is 31" collapsed and 37" extended.

Now I know some one here, NAXJA, has had to have done this with a 4: lift and already knows this measurement or can tell me a drive line part number and the shop where they purchased it?

Can anyone help?:peace:

My Tom Woods was ~35" long (IIRC, been a while) on a 4.5" lift. Ultimately, you really should just get under the vehicle and measure it. It only takes a second and will ensure you don't make a mistake based upon hearsay.

first of all, why can't you do any measurements? just crawl under there with a tape measurer and figure it out.

secondly, you can use the front driveshaft out of an automatic XJ. i've been running one for years now with no problems, and i know many others that do the same thing. much cheaper than a custom driveshaft, and they are cheap.

Hey Anthrax, was that 35" collapsed length, extended length, or at level ride heigth?

Reeson I'm not crawiling under my rig is I have not swapped the T-case out yet. Still running the original T-case. Second it's nice to have all the parts you need up front to complete the job insstead of waiting for parts on order.

Thanks guys

It also depends on what rear axle you have. I have 4.5" with a D35. I got a front driveshaft out of a ZJ and it was like 35" or something along those lines. You can run an auto XJ front shaft if you have an 8.25 because it has a longer pinion yoke.

Fyi, I got my shaft before I took measurements too. worked out in my favor. I too second the JY shafts, just make sure the shaft isnt bent! The forks from the earth movers can really f*ck up a shaft quite easily when the move the cars.

Hey Anthrax, was that 35" collapsed length, extended length, or at level ride heigth?

Reeson I'm not crawiling under my rig is I have not swapped the T-case out yet. Still running the original T-case. Second it's nice to have all the parts you need up front to complete the job insstead of waiting for parts on order.

Thanks guys

Didn't realize you hadn't swapped the t-cases yet. grab a front driveshaft and you should be able to throw it in there and run it. or run it in the mean time if you really have your heart set on getting an aftermarket shaft.

my setup: 5.5" lift, SYE, front driveshaft, d44. i've used the same front driveshaft with the d35 and the 8.25 and there have never been any issues

Is there are a reason why you do not want to use a stock front driveshaft out of an automatic XJ? I've been running one for over a year now with an SYE and have had no issues. Also, i paid $15 for it at the junk yard. Grab a front shaft, install new joints, and call it good. Otherwise, you really need to install the Tcase and get the measurements from your specific Jeep so you can have the exact driveshaft you need made. It only makes sense when you're paying a couple hundred dollars for a shaft to be made just for your jeep.

You have a 231 with a fixed yoke installed sitting next to you?

Measure how far the yoke is from the case housing.

Measure from the pinion yoke to the same spot on the existing tailhousing.

Order driveshaft.

Thanks guys.
I like the idea of using a front drive shaft in the rear. I have a buddy near where I live that has his own Jeep/XJ bone yard. I think I will pay him a visit tis weekend.

Have another question.
The guy who installed the SYE insisted that my automatic tranny/T-Case is a 21 spline and installed a 21 spline input shaft in the t-case? Is that right for my 93 with an automatic?

Depeding on who you talk to, I heard it is a 23 spline? Anyone have a definative answer?

Ya. Unfortunately I did. Looks like I'm going to have to swap the input shafts my self. No big. I will just use the one from the T-case on my rig now. At least I know that one will fit.

I finally found some information on the internet and called 2 driveline shops to verify this. So I found out some information to share with everyone.

With a 4" lift and AA SYE. The rear drive shaft lengths are:
31" Collapsed, 35" at ride heigth, and 37" extended. This is the exact same size as a stock front drive shaft. My buddy has a lot of drive shafts at his bone yard and we are going to pick one out later today and the price is right at only $40 compared to the $300 to $375 priced I was quoted.

This may also work with the shorter SYE kits out there since they are one about 1" shorter then the AA SYE.

Thanks again for all you help my XJ brothers

go to junkyard and pull two front drive shafts that are close to the length you need.. No offense but your a Jeep Guy.. Man up! Crawl under your rig to make sure it is right before you take someone elses word for it and get the wrong length.. very expensive mistake! Don't be a weenie it's dirt you should love to waller in it :)

Dont know where your guys got their numbers from,most slip-yokes only have 3" of travel.

Wow I found what I need by searching... Go me go me :) Anyway since u guys are on this subject. I have a 89 XJ and installed a 8.25 in her today along with some full leafs. My driveshaft is to short. I have a np242, if I throw a hack n tap on there and a front driveshaft will I be ok with 6" of lift? Or how much lift can I get using stock front shaft with hack n tap?
Thanks guys!!

Wow I found what I need by searching... Go me go me :) Anyway since u guys are on this subject. I have a 89 XJ and installed a 8.25 in her today along with some full leafs. My driveshaft is to short. I have a np242, if I throw a hack n tap on there and a front driveshaft will I be ok with 6" of lift? Or how much lift can I get using stock front shaft with hack n tap?
Thanks guys!!

know a guy who is sitting at 8" on 35's has an SYE and uses a front driveshaft without any problems. i would say you would probably be fine at 6" but he has an SYE and your doing a hack n tap not sure if that would make a big difference.

so just to make sure im reading this right a AA SYE with a fixed 1310 yoke will work with a stock front DS from a XJ ?

Correct, but you should really measure it to be sure... The front driveshaft length is different between automatic and manual trans XJs.

I just ponied up for the AA SYE/Tom Woods shaft. After 10% off it was $475 shipped to my door... not a bad deal IMHO. Plus, the TW shaft is a lot beefier and has a lot more slip than the stocker.

Back