• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Titan Engines 4.9L Stroker - Opinions?

Sappersoldier88

NAXJA Forum User
4.0 is nice, but just not cuttin it. Lookin at going to a stroker to stay with relativly similiar engine and not alot of modification.

My main question is, has anyone ever gotten one of these? If so how did it perform? What else should be considered to make sure running this doesnt destroy my transmission, Tcase and axles.

http://www.titanengines.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=56152

Thanks for the help!

Idk about the 4.9 but there other 4.0 based strokers got really bad reviews. if you search on the stroker forums you will find more info.

run away from titan. run far away

I installed a Titan engines 4.6L stroker in the summer of 2007. It's been reliable now for 60,000 miles... I just have no clue what's inside!:dunno:

I went with Titan because they were the cheapest and their shop was 2 hours away so I didn't have to ship anything. It was my DD, so time was an issue.

I've seen one run.

A shop near me just dropped a 4.9 into an xj they rebuilt entirely for a customer. They've had no issues yet.

heres a post that just poped up

Quote:
The head has been 100% verified solid (after a valve and all the guides/seats were replaced).

I just disassembled the engine tonight, and guess what?

IT'S NOT THE ENGINE I ORIGINALLY HAD BUILT BY TITAN.

#1. This one has been bored over .060 and is no longer safe to bore any more. The one I bought was .030, allowing for one more safe bore.

#2. It has the 4 counterweight crankshaft. I ensured I purchased the 12 counterweight due to it's durability and enhanced momentum for off-roading.

#3. The rods AREN'T the reconditioned AMC 258's I purchased that looked brand spanking new when I handed them over with my crankshaft.

#4. I need a whole new block because the number 6 cylinder wall has an outcropping hunk of metal about 3 MM wide at the bottom of the cylinder that... has scored out a portion of my piston and CRACKED it. Which leaves me two options: new block with master rebuild kit and machining to match (did the pricing tonight with the machinist and I'm looking at $1200 in machine work and the rebuild kit without the price I have to pay for a new block), OR... custom forged pistons and an unsafe .080 overbore ultimate resulting in a dead engine the first time it nears an overheat (requiring the waiting period for custom forging to take place).

So basically that leaves only one real option. These prices aren't including the new cam and head gasket set I already have either. That was another $265 I spent last week.

DO NOT BUY FROM TITAN.

For the love of God I hope all people whoever look into stroking their engine and hear of Titan Engines in Florida hear of it from me and the others on this site that have suffered.

At this point it would have been WAY cheaper to just spent $4700 on an ATK stroker AND pay for the shipping for it. Hindsight is beyond 20/20 at this point. It's down right Madam Cleo fortune-telling for those that read this and learn from me that they're no good.

Also, I don't want to hear anything about taking them to court. Anyone that has been in this boat before can probably attest to the fact that taking any place that remanufactures engines to court that the juice isn't even worth the squeeze, and that proving that it WAS there fault vs. them proving that it wasn't due to X number of factors (which can't be proven or disproven either way) results in wasted time and money anyways.

P.S. Also note that when I talked to old Chuck Manis over the phone the first time I had a failed lifter and wiped out cam (just like now) he specifically said "... we could show you all kinds of pictures and you wouldn't know what the hell you're looking at" over the phone. He knew I didn't know anything about engine mechanics at all at that point. Now that I've pulled this all apart and seen for myself that he's pulled the switcharoo on me I fully understand where he gets that phrase from.

Titan Engines is ran by a slimeball that preys on people that haven't had the misfortune of learning the hard way that you'll never get one red cent out of a warranty because they can always get around the blame due to 'error on the user.'

I recommend no one ever buy a remanufactured engine period.

The only good results I've heard for strokers period are Golen and ATK. They charge heavy, but the produce quality and reliability.

These guys are total douchebags and their service sucks beyond measure. Just ask anyone who has bought an engine from them. Even as I was there one of the last times I was down in Florida there was an old man there that was having a truck he used for work have an engine rebuilt and was getting malcontent with the results of waiting (probably being told to come back again the following week like they kept doing to me for a month, no exaggeration on the month part either).

V8 swap sounds like a better option to me..

I purchased a 4.9 Stroker from Titan and had it installed by a professional shop. To my surprise, the main bearing seal leaked. When I spoke to Chuck about it, he said they usually don't leak. They refused to have it repaired. It cost me $600 to have it repaired. When I decided to sell the Jeep, the engine had less than 6k miles on it and the oil was still clean and clear but no one wanted to buy it because of the Titan engine. I ended up selling the jeep for basically scrap value. Lesson learned.

Back