• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just did a front lift, have some questions

robhurlburt

NAXJA Forum User
I added IRO front coil springs (3in), and JK shocks. I will be doing the rear with a S-10 bastard pack in the future.

- I took it for a ride, major death wobble, MAJOR. Anybody have any luck with DIY alignments?
- If i have a shop do it, and specific settings for lifted vehicles?
- Is there any alighnment that is needed in the rear (i have heard yes and no)
- I was told the stock sway bars would reach, but they aren't even close. I assume i need new ones?

Pics:
Swaybars:
P2130118.jpg

P2130117.jpg

Looks good:
P2130120.jpg

Ehhh....not so much
P2130121.jpg

Last edited:
Theres tons of articles on here about DIY alignment, I did mine myself and it rides great. Most important things to look for in your case is the trackbar and pinon/caster angle. Dont know if youll be able to adjust caster/pinon angle since you didnt say you had adjustable control arms, if your running the stock trackbar alot of guys just drill a new hole on the axle side...No specific settings for lifted vehicles, always want to maintain stock specs as close as possible. No alignment in rear. Its your choice if you want to run a sway bar but that does not contribute to deathwobble, if a shop tells you it does leave because they dont know there ass from a hole.

Well, for one you're caster is so far off it's not funny since the back is 3 inches lower than the front. THAT in itself will cause DW. Do you seriously plan to ride around with it like that? Seriously?

A sway bar can effect DW but it's not the cause. Finish the lift, have it aligned and THEN try.

Dont know if youll be able to adjust caster/pinon angle since you didnt say you had adjustable control arms, if your running the stock trackbar alot of guys just drill a new hole on the axle side...No specific settings for lifted vehicles, always want to maintain stock specs as close as possible. No alignment in rear. Its your choice if you want to run a sway bar but that does not contribute to deathwobble, if a shop tells you it does leave because they dont know there ass from a hole.

thanks for the info. stock control arms. I assume i need new sway endlinks?

Well, for one you're caster is so far off it's not funny since the back is 3 inches lower than the front. THAT in itself will cause DW. Do you seriously plan to ride around with it like that? Seriously?

LOL, NO!! It is going to sit on the street like that for the next 2 weeks untill i get back and have time to work on it (3rd vehicle). Of course i planned on finishing the lift, THEN diagnose the DW, but i figure i could get the alignment done before the rear, and i might as well start learning.

Thanks for the info, i did not know the castor angle could cause DW! I did feel foolish as all heck driving like that, but i wanted to make sure nothing was loose.

lol, Just checking! Some people would actually do that. You certainly need to have it sitting level before you have it aligned. The readings would be incredibly wrong, primarily caster.

make a 1/4" shim for the lower control arms

unhook your track bar at the axle, if possible use a welder to fill in the original mount hole.. then use your weight to knock the front of the body back and forth MANY times... then jump up and down on the front bumper, then knock the body back and forth again... then slide the track bar back up into place and mark where it sets, then drill the new hole...

THEN

follow this

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

make sure you do the alignment LAST

I'm confused why all of you are telling him how to work on his tracbar. Did I miss something? All I read was why his sway bar endlinks were too short and when to do an alignment.

and only causes DW if it's worn out... I mean, don't get me wrong. It's worth a try. The two of you just seemed to have random statements about nothing on topic.

and only causes DW if it's worn out... I mean, don't get me wrong. It's worth a try. The two of you just seemed to have random statements about nothing on topic.

the OP asked about alignments as well... part of a front end alignment IS to center the axle... that is why I mentioned it... so yes it is on topic... it's ok, you just missed the part where he asked about alignments I think

unbolt them and the frame side...

then make a spacer on the frame... easy to make with a drill and an angle grinder

then get some long bolts...

all stuff from the hard ware store

Am I the only one that wants to know why just the front lift?

At any rate, adjustable trac bar is what I would go with, longer sway links, but if you are doing it any way I would do quick disconects. 7 degrees of caster.

Last edited:
Back