• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hot cable

whodat2

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i have an 88 xj 4x4 6cly automatic. the problem is the cable that locks the floor shift is getting hot, there is a solenoid in this cable with wires running to it.i cleaned all ground cables and added 2 more engine grounds, and the solenoid still gets hot. sure could use some ideas.. thanks steve

Don't have a clue what you are talking about.

There is a mechanical Park Lock cable that runs from the key cylinder in the steering column down to the transmission shift assembly that prevents the key from being removed unless the transmission is in park. NO solenoid. However, the Park Lock cable does pass by and have a nut that holds it to the ignition switch located on the steering column. Could that be what you are looking at?

If you can, post up some pictures. You have to upload the photos to a photo hosting website--like photobucket.com--then copy the IMG address of the photo(s) and paste that in your post on NAXJA.

Welcome to NAXJA, we want to help you--trust me! Just kidding, we will help, just give us a little more info.

I'm out of y element with the AW4 talk, but is there a solenoid that disengages the park lock when you step on the brake? if that's what the OP is talking about I'd bet that the solenoid is simply bad, and drawing a bunch of current, but I'd think that it's only powered when you step on the brakes, and it's in Park.

of course what I think and what it is are usually two different things.

Not sure what the OP is talking about, but I don't think the '88 has a break "release" for the transmission shifter. At least my '89 doesn't.

My 91 doesn't have it, but my 96 does. I know it was added sometime in between and it may have been available as a TSB / recall fix or upgrade? Not sure.

My 91 doesn't have it, but my 96 does. I know it was added sometime in between and it may have been available as a TSB / recall fix or upgrade? Not sure.

I remember when I had my '88 (back in the late 90's) I got the recall notice that said I could have it installed no charge. My 91 has it so I'm assuming the PO had the recall performed on it.

Back