• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas pedal/throttle cable freeplay ,PICS

BotakBeng

NAXJA Forum User
Gas pedal/throttle cable slack/freeplay ,PICS

Hi, i'm having about 2" of freeplay on my gas pedal and was hoping someone can advise if i should change the throttle cable or is it adjustable?

Gaspedalslack1.jpg

Gaspedalslack2.jpg

Throttlecableslack1.jpg

Throttlecableslack2.jpg

Appreciate someone can help a newbie out :worship:.

Last edited:
That is a whole lot of slack.

Have you checked under the hood to see if everything is connected properly and the throttle plate is returning fully closed?

Any light automotive use cable will stretch and eventually break or need replacing.

You could try a couple of crimp-on cable stops, should find something at a well-stocked hardware, or just go ahead and replace the cable.

Any light automotive use cable will stretch and eventually break or need replacing.

You could try a couple of crimp-on cable stops, should find something at a well-stocked hardware, or just go ahead and replace the cable.

Thx joe,
"crimp-on cable stops" huh....will check.
FSM nor Haynes manual didn't mentioned anything about the length of the cable. Can't find at napa nor local shop website.......do you know what length for my 2000XJ?

btw, i'm still working on the bikini video :doh:

CABLE, Accelerator, 5207 9504

Can't help you with a length, but that should be the part number.

EDIT: for clarification, that is FEMALE and HUMAN bikini models.

take the air cleaner tube off the Throttle body and get some one to look down while you mash the accelerator to the floor, if it opens fully don't worry about it

Ewen

take the air cleaner tube off the Throttle body and get some one to look down while you mash the accelerator to the floor, if it opens fully don't worry about it

Ewen

x2. The gas pedal is supposed to be lower than the brake to help minimize people confusing the two (to quote Ralph Nader during the Audi sudden acceleration - the dumb f--ks hit the gas instead of the brake).

Ewen

x2. The gas pedal is supposed to be lower than the brake to help minimize people confusing the two (to quote Ralph Nader during the Audi sudden acceleration - the dumb f--ks hit the gas instead of the brake).

Thx guys.
Throttle is fully open when pedal is depressed.
I just thought the accelerator cable could be stretched since there is so much slack as you can see from the pics.

Back