• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Whistle - belt drive

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ. 105k miles. 4.0/AW4/NP231

My 2000 XJ has had an annoying whistle since I bought it almost 2 years ago. It is much louder than the other Cherokees I've owned. By removing the belt and running it for a minute, I figured out the whistle is coming from a belt accessory, since the Jeep runs silent with the belt removed.
The powersteering and alternator pullies don't seem to turn as freely as the others. They both stop as soon as I stop spinning them. The whistle also gets louder when I turn on my headlights, KC lights, and fog lights, so I'm pretty sure its the alternator. It still charges fine. Anyone have any input?
The videos below show me spinning the pullies in question, then the whistle itself. You have to turn up the volume to hear the knocking in the powersteering pulley when I turn it. Not sure if that is normal, the whistle doesn't seem to be from the power steering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8mjh03oZP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90hHsNJViVQ

Since I'm pretty sure its the alt, anyone have input as to which one to get? I just helped my friend put an autozone reman alt in his ranger and it seems decent. Any I should stay away from? Theres a few new ones online but most are rebuilt.

Personally, I would find a local re-builder in your area and have yours rebuilt.

The current crop of rebuilt parts seem to be mostly junk.

Just had an alternator for a Mercruiser rebuilt, cost was $112 and that included a new regulator.

Personally, I would find a local re-builder in your area and have yours rebuilt.

The current crop of rebuilt parts seem to be mostly junk.

Just had an alternator for a Mercruiser rebuilt, cost was $112 and that included a new regulator.

Theres an idea. Would the whistle in the video be the result of a bad bearing? I spun the pulley and it seemed to stop as soon as I took my hand off of it. Same with the power steering. I'm not sure how much resistance each one is supposed to have. Should my P/S pump make that clicking sound when I turn it back and forth?

alternators make a whine when they are generating charge, its normal although not usually scary loud

I know they can usually whine a bit, but this is a very loud whistle/whine. Could just be because its the original alternator and I run high powered headlight bulbs along with 130 watt KCs.

Back