• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX CTS question?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
A CTS question? If I move mine to the T-stat housing will it still work properly in the RENIX. Having it down on the block sucks for diagnosis and I have a late model housing thats just itching to find its way into my 90.

I was wondering if anyone else had moved theirs.

The renix location lets it see actual coolant temp before the thermostat opens. I don't have HO, so I don't know which side of the thermostat the HO set up looks at on the T-stat housing. The thread size is different. Also with the engine running, the t-stat location sees a higher temperature than the Renix location does, so it might affect performance, and MPGs.

The renix location lets it see actual coolant temp before the thermostat opens. I don't have HO, so I don't know which side of the thermostat the HO set up looks at on the T-stat housing. The thread size is different. Also with the engine running, the t-stat location sees a higher temperature than the Renix location does, so it might affect performance, and MPGs.

Good points, I'll do some thinking on it. I could try it and still leave the one in the block and just jumper the harness.

Yes the HO CTS is a 1/4" NPT and the RENIX CTS is 3/8" NPT. I can drill it out and re-tap it easily though.

Good points, I'll do some thinking on it. I could try it and still leave the one in the block and just jumper the harness.

Yes the HO CTS is a 1/4" NPT and the RENIX CTS is 3/8" NPT. I can drill it out and re-tap it easily though.

You might check the FSMs to see if the temperature resistance curves are the same for both first, but IIRC the HO is a single pin with the body grounded, and the Renix is a 2 pin, GM weather pack connector, so they be totally different sensors.

If you want to de tune the Renix CTS after moving it, you could add about 50 ohm resistor in series to make up for the temperature difference between the two locations at full operating temperature.

You might check the FSMs to see if the temperature resistance curves are the same for both first, but IIRC the HO is a single pin with the body grounded, and the Renix is a 2 pin, GM weather pack connector, so they be totally different sensors.

If you want to de tune the Renix CTS after moving it, you could add about 50 ohm resistor in series to make up for the temperature difference between the two locations at full operating temperature.

If I move it to the T-stat housing I will use a RENIX CTS, the HO will not work right(I tried a HO ACT to replace the RENIX MAT and that was a flop!) so I learned my lesson the costly way. There is enough meat on the housing to drill and tap for the 3/8" NPT.

Back