• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice

Azzuen

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 1999 Jeep Cherokee and all was well however there are a few problems that I need some help diagnosing.

-Sometimes during slow speed (usually starting from stationary) my car lurches forward when I press the gas pedal past halfway and doesn't stop until I give it a lot of gas for a short burst.

-There is a squealing noise almost all the time up front right in front of the passenger side whenever the blower is running. Someone told me this was because the serpentine belt needs replaced, I have yet to try that. Could the lurching be related?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Ted

Whenever the blower is running or the Defroster?

1. For a "new-to-you" vehicle, a tuneup is most likely in order. That means fresh Champion copper plugs gapped to .035, new plug wires, cap, rotor, air filter

2. Cleaning of throttle body and idle air control never a bad idea as they get carboned up over time and miles.

3. Inspect your belt. If it is glazed, excessively worn or cracked, or evidence of more than 60k on it, replace it. Goodyear Gatorback is a good choice for a replacement belt. The belt on the 4.0 needs to be pretty darn tight to stay quiet on the Jeep 4.0 engine.

Sorry it has taken me so long to post progress on here. Had a lot going on.
Got it tuned up about 2 weeks ago and all was going well until it started lurching again. Now it will do it off of stoplights, stop signs, from reverse to drive, you name it. If I'm sitting still then moving, chances are it will lurch 6 times out of 10. Its getting to the point now where sometimes it will just shut off and I have to put it in park, turn it off, then start it up again. Once I do that it seems fine. Another thing to note is this only seems to be happening when I'm getting low on gas (about 1/2 tank and lower) and happens more in the cold.
Any ideas?

When my '96 was acting this way, it was the Throttle Position Sensor. I've been through five in the last year and a half, and right now it seems happy with a JY piece. It would surge, then sometimes stall when stopped at a light, tranny would shift funny, and it acted the worst with a brand new one. Grab a few and experiment.

X2 on the TPS. What ever happened with the squeal? I was going to suggest blower motor...mine made noise like that before it went out completely....was always worst when weather was cold (like below freezing).

Let us know.

Thanks heyhar, i'll have to give it a try!
In terms of the squealing it hasn't sounded like it was coming from the blower recently as much as the serpentine belt, which I know needs replacing. But i haven't had the heat or air on in my car for awhile so I'm not 100% sure the squealing from the blower is gone. I'll have to check it out and get back with the results.
Thanks for the fast responses guys!

Back