• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33/13.5's or 35/13.5's?

russellUK

NAXJA Forum User
i'm looking to get some maxxis mudzilla tyres and would like either 33x13.5x15 or 35x13.5x15 obviously i'd prefer 35's but how much more work would be required?

my jeep.
1995 2.5td, 4.5" full leaf RC lift, D30 with out disconect front, soon to fit 29 spline 8.25 rear with 4.10 gearing, manual 5 speed trans. i dont have a slip yoke eliminator and i dont have a transfer box drop and i dont have vib's

the jeep is used for what you might call trails and pay and play days which is normally mud, not really a daily drive but it is a good backup to get me to work.

Q1, what back spacing do i need on wheels for 13.5 wide tyres? also 10x15 or 8x10 wheels?

Q2, will 4.5" of lift be ok with 35's as i'd rather not limit travel with bump stops etc, i dont mind cutting the wheel arch (fender?) but i'd rather not have to modify the inner wing

basically i'm on a bit of a budget and jeep parts are silly money here and second hand parts are limited as american cars arnt that popular, id rather not spend loads and loads just to get 35's to fit when i know 33's only need a little trim and no other expense

Thanks

Russell

im running a 4.5 rubicon express kit, and im running 35x12.50xR15 tires maxxis bighorns, and most my other things stock, spline, differential, axles ect, no slip yoke, or bump stops, even stock steering, its running good like this, but i think imma down grade to 33"s as far as gas/breaking u joints/ tie rods/ and ive had alot of rubbing on lower control arms, happens all the time between all, if its not one its all. id really suggest at this tall u go with 33's. but thats an opinion.

33's would fit what you've got, and 4.10's won't be enough for 35's.

33's would fit what you've got, and 4.10's won't be enough for 35's.

this.

4.10's with a 2.5L motor will be horrible for the power. It's not going to like 33's much either, but 35's is going to be horrible.

well it is a diesel.

yes, and the diesel is comparable to the 4.0 in torque and power, although probably in a smaller RPM range.

Having run a 4.0 with 3.73's and 34's, with a 5 spd, it's not enough gear. I've gone 4.56, and will stick with 33's.

Last edited:
i dont think gearing will be a big problem, a friend has the same spec diesel and 33's and the stock 3.73 gearing he claims is ok. i'm changing from stock 3.73 to 4.10 and fitting the 8.25 axle over the next couple of weeks

the diesel has the same torque as the 4lt HO but is on boost at just under 2,000rpm and quite happy pulling from tickover

33's are going to cost quite a bit and 35's are only a tiny bit more money, bigger tyres meen better clearance in ruts, better approach angles etc etc BUT if its going to rub on everything and cost a fortune to lift anymore then its not worth it, i recon i could get away with another inch or 2 in the rear if i lower the transfer case, so thats not silly money, not sure about lifting the front any more though, the prop is at quite an angle

i have searched and know this sort have question has been asked befor, but my variation is that the tyres i want dont come in 12.5 wide, they only come in 13.5 wide. i would like the 10x15 wheels (rims) but was unsure of backspacing, the police dont like the wheels hanging out at all so i will bolt flimsy rubber sheet to the wheel arch (fender? or is fender a bumper?) to keep them happy, would like them as far under as possible

Those tires will require the 10 inch wide wheels. Anything more than 4 inch backspacing will rub everything. I recommend 3.75 but those tires are pretty wide and will stick out quite a bit. You can fit the 35s with no problem if you don't mind cutting up on the body. If you're heavy on the skinny pedal, 35s have a tendency to break more parts than 33s which are the norm for stock to mild upgrades on XJs. I've run both 33s and 35s and I did not have a problem getting through stuff on 33s where I went on 35s. I'm back to 33s because I like the idea of being overbuilt and the difference between them to me is negligeable.

Wait, are you paying to re-gear to 4.10's? Go deeper.

Back