• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent, please point me in the right direction.

Mosephus

NAXJA Forum User
This morning our stock 98, ran very rough (it wanted to die) until it warmed up and the heater has been acting funny the last couple of days (it won't work for awhile but then you hear a scraping sound behind the dash and then the heat comes in).

Well my wife drove it to work and it drove fine all the way there, but on her way home (engine cold) it died and it took a long time to get the engine started after that. She says the engine never stumbled or ran rough but I'm not sure she was really paying attention in the first place.

Well as she was pulling into the driveway the engine over heated and I ran out and it looked to me like the radiator sprung a leak and you could hear fluid pouring into the overflow bottle.

I'm trying to tell my self it isn't the head gasket, what do you think?

I think you let the coolant run low. That could cause a boiling sound at the heater core.

Sounds like you have a project for this weekend.

Use Green 50/50 only, year around. (Mix 100% and Distilled =50/50%). Change/flush every 2 years.

Its coolant, (hot weather) + antifreeze, (cold wx), +WATER PUMP lube, and +corrosion protector.

mix to no less than 50% coolant and no more than 70%. (50% is best)

Good Luck,
Orange

Use Green 50/50 only, year around. (Mix 100% and Distilled =50/50%). Change/flush every 2 years.

Its coolant, (hot weather) + antifreeze, (cold wx), +WATER PUMP lube, and +corrosion protector.

mix to no less than 50% coolant and no more than 70%. (50% is best)

Good Luck,
Orange

Yeah, gotta disagree a bit.

A 50/50 mix is just a year-round compromise. Run 50/50 late Fall through early Spring, then switch to 30/70 (30 ethylene glycol/70 distilled water) for late Spring through early Fall. Ethylene glycol is a good anti-freeze but it SUCKS at cooling.

Agree with a flush (NOT the 15 minute crap) every two years with fresh coolant, and a good time to throw on a new cap.

You need to do some checking/testing to determine if any engine damage has been done.

Back