• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust in my coolant!!!

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So i have a 1999 xj w/ a 4.0 and my problem is simple, I hope. We got a lot of snow in NY this winter and i have been wheeling hard, really hard. pulling snow plows and postal trucks (wish i could post the videos) anyway i noticed a leak in my radiator that had a small orange puddle in the snow.....let it go and never overheated so didn't worry. when i checked the level the other day i had a dried bunch of bubbles around the cap and it took almost a jug of coolant. To save the guess work i do think it is bad rust from running too much or close to all water for some reason. Don't think its mixing with oil b/c the color is brighter (rust) and the oil is clean.
I am planning on replacing a bunch of parts as i need the truck to be as reliable as possible. Radiator, cap, hoses, thermostat....
I was wondering the best way to go about replacing these parts and flushing my engine? And in what order? Don't know of any flush methods or products so any advice would really help.
Also while i am doing this is there anything else i should replace? I was smelling an antifreeze smell in the car when blasting the heat driving in the snow.. from leak or someplace else in the system? and my windows have had ice on the inside and even noticed a whole lot of water beaded up on my ceiling (headliner is out for another project) but those things may be from the snow tracked in the car and big temp changes. I want to attack my cooling system all at once so what am i missing?

replace anything you can... then make sure you use proper antifreeze all the time as it SHOULD keep this from happening again

all hoses
thermostat
fan clutch (or convert to an electric for your main fan)
cap
heater core

should do the trick

just flush the engine out with your garden hose until it runs clear

Definitely time for some serious maintenance. Conventional antifreeze is green, so unless someone used a different recipe of coolant in this engine, it is probably just dirty.

Flush/fill with conventional anti-freeze and be sure you are at approx. 50-50 concentration when you are DONE. Verify with a hydrometer, available at any parts store for a few bucks.

New 195 degree thermostat. I buy mine from Jeep and also like the Stant SuperStat.

Replace any old hoses and ALL hoses if they are original! New radiator cap.

Inspect radiator and water pump for any leaks/replace as necessary. Clutch fan is inexpensive and often overlooked.

When you smell coolant INSIDE the cab, it usually indicates a leak in the heater core. Unfortunately, they are a PITA to replace as you have to dismantle the dash to get to it.

the pump i may as well replace but what about the clutch fan. how would i have any idea if it is bad. not that i think of it i have a whiney grindy noise coming from what i thought was my ac clutch. could this be the clutch fan? and anyway to check the heater core?

the pump i may as well replace but what about the clutch fan. how would i have any idea if it is bad. not that i think of it i have a whiney grindy noise coming from what i thought was my ac clutch. could this be the clutch fan? and anyway to check the heater core?
You can test the clutch by spinning the fan. It should spin with little resistance when cold, and with a good amount of resistance when it's hot. The only way to check your heater core is to visually inspect it, which means pulling the dash,

I performed a complete cooling system overhaul last summer on my '89 XJ. It is really not that expensive. I replaced the radiator ($110), water pump ($50), upper and lower hoses ($40), thermostat ($10), HD clutch fan (from NAPA @ $50), and blower motor ($27). Check the forum threads for which HD clutch fan to use. You will want the heavy duty one. The majority of the parts I replaced were OEM so they definately needed replaced. The XJ was not overheating but it ran warm and the coolant was nasty. At my altitude (Billings MT is 3500 ft above sea level, where I like to play is @ 6000 ft.) my operating temperature dropped from 210 to 195. Believe me it is worth the $300 to overhaul the coolant system especially if your coolant is as bad as you say.

your heater core is almost certainly hosed since you're getting water in the cab and a coolant smell. Bad news is that 97 and later, you have to pull the whole dash apart to get at the damn thing...

ya well i think im going to do everything but the core for now and then attack that last and give it one more flush. I got great prices on parts.
How should i go about flushing and replacing? should i flush before i replace and after?
and also now that i am doing the pump and fan, any special tools i will need? i have done the pump on another xj, i think im covered for that but never did the fan
also im buying from a parts store any brand they carry make an HD one and opinions on all brands are welcome

just called in ....
thermostat
radiator
hoses
clutch fan
16lb cap
flush
and speed sensor

i flushed the system with water and mann is it orange......gonna flush the old parts before i change em all

so i tried to run some flush but didnt get too much run time and im leaking too much to drive now. i am off tomorrow and installing all the parts in the am.

1) The coolant isn't clear yet and i want to get the best drain possible. Beside water in upper hose while spinning pump whats the best way to remove as much $#!? as i can
2) any other tricks (flush heater or drain other hoses? drainplug is a pita?
3)Do i need the HD fan clutch or zj one im in NY but stock shouldn't overheat right?
im told it must be 5050 and who knows whats in there now?

How can i do a full flush on my coolant system?

I'm replacing the cooling system in my 99 xj tomorrow. I'm concerned of the following because of how bad the rust is in the current cooling system.

1) The coolant isn't clear yet and i want to get the best drain possible. Beside water in upper hose while spinning pump whats the best way to remove as much $#!? as i can
2) any other tricks (flush heater or drain other hoses?
3) Is the drain plug a pita?
4) Do i need the HD fan clutch or zj one im in NY but stock shouldn't overheat right?
5) I'm told it MUST be 5050 true?

Re: How can i do a full flush on my coolant system?

i just needed some answers....going to do the best flush i can in a few minutes

Since the system is leaking badly as you posted then you cannot run the usual system chemical flush to dislodge the rust buildup inside the system.

Instead you can remove the thermostat and put the hose inside the head, place a rag around the hose to keep most of the water moving thru the head and block. Since you are replacing the water pump anyway; remove it and then turn the hose on.... You will probably need to run the water for a while for the water to be reasonably clear.
When you have the radiator repaired the shop will chemically clean the tanks and tubes.

Parts to replace should be the thermostat, radiator cap, hoses, belt, water pump, thermostatic clutch, and the curved tube that is attached to the water pump which draws water thru the heater core.
To take all the guess work of creating the 50% coolant mixture; coolant is sold in pre mixed 50/50 gallon containers....

Back