• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In urgent need of help!

w0lf19

NAXJA Forum User
So I am trying to pull my head to replace the busted freeze plug at the back of it. I need some assistance, because I was in the process of taking the power steering pump off, and one of the bolts rounded out completely at the first turn of the wrench, whereas the other came loose just fine. I tried heating it, using vice-grips and a cheater bar, everything. I went out and bought some Easy-Out sockets today, but I cannot use them due to clearance issues. The ONLY way I can get at that bolt is to pull the pulley off of the power steering pump, but I have NO idea how to do that, and am praying someone can tell me how to do it without having to buy any more specialty tools, as I am flat broke now.

Thanks,

w0lf

Bummer. You can borrow a pulley puller from Autozone or other parts store for free. You do have to put some money down, but they give it back when you return the tool. Clearance might be a problem so you might have to pull the radiator.

there should be a hole cut in the face of the pulley.....rotate the pulley around until the hole lines up with the bolt head. Got a pic of said bolt?

Jeff

there should be a hole cut in the face of the pulley.....

Neither of my rigs has a hole, or spokes. OP, try channel locks. They can get in to that tight spot. Those bolts...behind the pulley...just hold the pump to the bracket. If you can get to the main bracket bolts you can remove the whole bracket and work on the bolt OUT of the Jeep

Easy fix:
Autozone sells rubber freeze plugs that have a big washer on both sides. When you tighten the nut the rubber expands. Basically: find the largest rubber plug that will still fit in the hole, then tighten the nut and make it expand to fill the freeze plug hole.

Yes, it's a hack, and it won't last forever. But it will allow you to drive the car around until you have time (and money) to fix it correctly.

What year XJ?

If it is a 95 or earlier ParadiseXJ is correct, you can unbolt the bracket and get to work on it outside the jeep. If it is a 96 or newer the bolts go straight into the intake manifold.

Easy fix:
Autozone sells rubber freeze plugs that have a big washer on both sides. When you tighten the nut the rubber expands. Basically: find the largest rubber plug that will still fit in the hole, then tighten the nut and make it expand to fill the freeze plug hole.

Yes, it's a hack, and it won't last forever. But it will allow you to drive the car around until you have time (and money) to fix it correctly.

@Porch951
he has tried several of the rubber plugs as outlined in his previous posts. but they kept blowing out.

@w0lf19
i cut a hold in my pulley like the newer jeeps have, just used the largest drill bit i had, then opened the hole up more with a dremel

Its a 96 XJ. I got a pulley puller, that f***er is coming off tonight when I get off work, and that bolt does go right into the intake manifold, so if the easy-out doesn't work, it's plasma cutter time.

@Porch951
I can't get the OLD plug out without pulling the head, either, so I will just pull the head and put a new plug in, and the four on the side of the block while I have the intake and exhaust manifolds out.

Back