• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent...dead jeep

hghgrad

NAXJA Forum User
Was cruising down the freeway this morning and it died. 97 Cherokee sport, 4.0, aw4.

Before it died, I could see red behind me...flames from the exhaust. Lots of popping. Now its dead. Cranks, but no fire. Its about 30 miles away from me now, so I can't pull codes yet as it's my only running vehicle at the moment :(

Any guesses? The flames is really what has me scratching my head. Theres fuel at the rail, unsure of the pressure though.

Map sensor?

Before getting onto sensors, verify if you have spark.

And if you do, then splash a bit of gas or a small spray of starting fluid into the intake. If it starts and runs momentarily doing this, you have confirmed a fuel DELIVERY problem.

I've been thinking about this all day. I'm going to check the cps when I get up there. I managed to get the brakes on my f250 fixed so I can make it to work tomorrow, but it gets 8 mpg...so I need my jeep back asap!

I would not even try to start it, after flames came out the rear!!!!!:passgas:

I would pull and test every injector to see if one is stuck open!!! FIRST!

Engine may be flooded. Check the oil for gas smell!

I would disconnect the HV coil.

Do a run (no start) fuel pressure test,

If you do a spark test, make sure the fuel feed is somehow disabled, or see that spark is limited to test and see to it that it can not get to the plugs.

Then with all that data, post back up.

I checked the oil on the side of the road, no gas smell. It doesn't have any overpowering smell of raw gas while it's cranking...and it should still fire with an injector stuck open (had that happen in the past with the stock injectors).

It's about 8 degrees here now, I'm almost considering heading up to work on it a bit. Guess I'll see how I feel about it in a little bit.

LOL, if it was 8 F here :( I would to Mexico! LOL

It ate the distributor gear. Replaced the distributor, but I think it damaged the cam. The new distributor is kind of wobbling :(

It's dead until I can drag it back down to my house. Gotta wait for it to warm up though since my trailer is buried under 2 feet of snow in the middle of my old mans back yard.

Back