• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire/Wheel Combinations

Has anyone created or seen a chart that shows the various tire size/wheel size combinations, minimum inches of body lift required, and minimum gearing ratio required that can work on an XJ?

Looking for something to be able to consider all of the options (in one place, on one chart)... something like (not saying that this is accurate):

Tire Size / Wheel Size / Clearance Issue / Min. Lift Req'd / Min. Gear Ratio
33x10.50x15 / 8x15 / Yes / 2.5 / 4.56

I was thumbing through this month's JP magazine and I believe they had a chart like that for all Jeep models, current and past. I don't recall it suggesting gear ratios, but I think it had: wheel / tire / lift / extent of trimming.

RocknXJ posted this in another thread, seems about right:

30" tire / 2" budget lift
31" tire / 3.5" lift
32" tire / 4.5" lift (SYE required)
33" tire / 5.5" lift (gearing desired)
35" tire / 6"+ lift (steering/brake upgrades preferred)
I'm going to go ahead and add to it:

30" tire / 2" budget lift / 3.55's okay, 3.73-4.11's suggested
31" tire / 3.5" lift / 4.11's suggested / SYE likely on '96+
32" tire / 4.5" lift / 4.11's strongly suggested / SYE required
33" tire / 5.5" lift / 4.11's or 4.56's required
35" tire / 6"+ lift / 4.56's or 4.88's required / steering/brake upgrades preferred

BTW, not saying these are absolutely correct, but they're pretty close based on my observations. For example, i have 30's and 3.55's, and it does okay...but my gas mileage is shit (~13.5mpg) and the Jeep does better in 3rd gear on the freeway.

i think theres too many variables to have something like this work correctly

you can run 31's on no lift or 3"

or you can run 35's on 2" lift or an 8" lift.. theres really no consistency

also depends on transmission...

this kind of question is like asking what chemical you should make with hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen.

You're better off just asking us.

What size are you trying to fit, and what's your budget?

BTW- Pebble Beach is super nice! I was just there in December.

i think theres too many variables to have something like this work correctly

you can run 31's on no lift or 3"

or you can run 35's on 2" lift or an 8" lift.. theres really no consistency
True--it was noted that the lift amounts i listed are with NO CUTTING. If you're willing to cut, there's no limit.

RocknXJ posted this in another thread, seems about right:

I'm going to go ahead and add to it:

30" tire / 2" budget lift / 3.55's okay, 3.73-4.11's suggested
31" tire / 3.5" lift / 4.11's suggested / SYE likely on '96+
32" tire / 4.5" lift / 4.11's strongly suggested / SYE required
33" tire / 5.5" lift / 4.11's or 4.56's required
35" tire / 6"+ lift / 4.56's or 4.88's required / steering/brake upgrades preferred

Good additions. I wrote the original list as a "general" guideline for tires/lift sizes, but did not list out all the variables. For instance, the front wheel well of a pre-96 is larger than a post-97. Spring density and age will also impact height. Just a rough guideline with the idea that the taller you go, the more $$ the mods.

I know that there are a million tire/wheel sizes (with all of the possible standard & metric combinations), but I was looking for a simple chart similar to the one posted at:
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-10.htm

All they'd have to do is add a gear ratio column... I guess I'll have to put one together.

I have a 3" lift & cutout flares (TJ's up front & Bushwackers in the rear)

I have reviewed a bunch of articles, forums, blogs, and tire/wheel retailer websites to create a comprehensive spreadsheet that shows the most common tire & wheel combinations, fender clearance issues (or if trimming is required), lift requirements, and axle gearing ratios.

The spreadsheet is "locked," but anyone can view it at:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...3RVk4UUZidldhVWc&hl=en&authkey=CPafl6IK#gid=0

Please be gentle with me, as a lot of work went into creating this chart. If you think that there are some errors (after considering the footnotes & warnings), then post them here. If enough people agree with a required change then I'll make it so.

Back