• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

code 22 and auxiliary fan stuck on

K Riccardi

NAXJA Forum User
My 1996 4.0 auto XJ has been running fine. Getting ready for a trip this weekend and I decided to add a switch to turn on the auxiliary manually. I ran the wiring around the engine. I have NOT hooked up anything or disconnected any of the factory wiring. I went to start the XJ to pull it in the garage and it was very hard to start and when it finally started you could smell the raw gas and the auxiliary fan came on.

Now when I start the XJ it is hard to start and the fan comes on a few seconds after starting it. I am now getting a code 22. I may have moved some wiring around when running the new wires but never got near the t-stat housing.

1996 XJ, 4.0, auto.
Code 22 on the check engine light.
Auxiliary fan stuck on.

Thank you for the reply.:cheers:

Seems like it was corrosion on the coolant sensor plug end. I cleaned it and moved the tabs around just a bit and it seems to be better. I did not get a chance last night to go for a test drive to be sure it is fixed.

I new the code was for the Coolant Sensor but in my searching could not find any info on the fan coming on. Maybe this will help the next guy. ;)

Back