• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with drivetrain on 35's

boss hoss

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone i have an xj, lifted 6.5" with stock axles and everything else along with the stock inline 6 not the high output, its an 89, sitting on 35's, i just lost a tie rod and u join on passenger side, my question to you guys what all should i replace runnin 35's to keep from braking things so often

Well at 6.5" you're going to have to start upgrading your steering components (1-ton upgrade, JKS, JCR, Currie, etc is pretty common) as well as drop pitman arm and relocation of your trackbar.

Probably also should start by upgrading axles....if you have a Dana 35 rear you're not going to last very long on 35's, neither is your Dana 30 in stock form

im interest to see the responses to this. I am going to be building my 90 2 door with a RE 5.5 extreme duyt lift and 35's. I intially was going to build for 33's but I got a good deal on the tires. but they are smallish 35's. We need more info on type of lift and steering mods if any. I got a chrysler 8.25, I was looking for a D44 rear froma cherokee but they are impossible to find near me. It also had a new Aussie locker professionally installed. I also wouldnot lock the front D30 with 35's.

Disconnect Dana 30 or solid?

If solid, go get newer axles with the bigger 297 u joints.
If disco, convert to solid, or find 95 YJ shafts with the bigger u joints. That's about the best you can do with the front unless you want to spend a lot of money.

THere is no hope for the Dana 35. Replace it.

87 "stock D30 on 34's for a few years now" manche

Gonna need good solid steering, alloy shafts in the front, if you gonna lock the front go with a fullcase locker and a nice stiff diff cover. If you have a dana 35 swap in a 20 spline 8.25

If you or a friend has a welder swap an 8.8 out back and slap some ABS shafts up front
lock the rear leave the front open get yourself some good steeing while your at it

hey everyone i have an xj, lifted 6.5" with stock axles and everything else along with the stock inline 6 not the high output, its an 89, sitting on 35's, i just lost a tie rod and u join on passenger side, my question to you guys what all should i replace runnin 35's to keep from braking things so often

That depends on a lot:

- What's your budget
- How hard do you wheel
- Do you plan on going bigger
- What terrain do you wheel on most often

That depends on a lot:

- What's your budget
- How hard do you wheel
- Do you plan on going bigger
- What terrain do you wheel on most often

well i have a little budget i get 500 a month im still in highschool so its a low budget, i wheel fairly hard, i do not plan going any bigger then my RE 4.5, and i wheel mostly mudd and some trails, i live in oregon so lots of both :]

with the steering upgrades, what is a good reccomendation that doesnt break the bank? Ill be using the drop pitman arm and track bar from rubicon express with my lift. hat else should i replace? I dont mean to hijack the thread, but my questions do relate the the OP's and dont want to start a nearly identical thread.

I really like my Crown heavy duty steering. Doesn't break the bank and uses all over-the-counter pieces (V8 ZJ). I ordered it through JCWhitney.

thanks guys, how does the ford 9" work on these?

You'll need to redrill it to match the front wheel pattern. and it's hard to find one the proper with. 8.8 is nearly as strong, has discs and the proper wheel pattern. You'll need some spacers if running stock wheels.

with the steering upgrades, what is a good reccomendation that doesnt break the bank? Ill be using the drop pitman arm and track bar from rubicon express with my lift. hat else should i replace? I dont mean to hijack the thread, but my questions do relate the the OP's and dont want to start a nearly identical thread.

I've made stock steering last for a long time, longer than I should have. The most vulnerable bit is the tie-rod, it's low, and just a hollow tube, one solid hit on a rock and it's bent.
v8 ZJ tie rod is solid stock and cheap junkyard upgrade. If you want to do anything more than that, look at an over the knuckle one ton setup, or DOM and rod ends.

Wait, are you at 6.5" or running a 4.5" RE lift?
Look at the stickies, there should be a thread regarding axle strengths with lots of good info.

Wait, are you at 6.5" or running a 4.5" RE lift?
Look at the stickies, there should be a thread regarding axle strengths with lots of good info.

OP says 6.5"
I ran the stock steering at 4" and it was completely maxed out. I can't imagine that it's pretty at 6.5

5"+ and stock steering dont mix. unless you like killing tie rod ends.

like said, address the steering, and axles (alloys, gears, u-joints)

5"+ and stock steering dont mix. unless you like killing tie rod ends.

like said, address the steering, and axles (alloys, gears, u-joints)
8" of lift on 35's stock steering, upgraded tierod been this way since april of 04 and the only thing ive done is ordered a new joint for my trackbar(frame side) puting this on this weekend. its been wheeled hard and driven on the street with no issues.
mike

8" of lift on 35's stock steering, upgraded tierod been this way since april of 04 and the only thing ive done is ordered a new joint for my trackbar(frame side) puting this on this weekend. its been wheeled hard and driven on the street with no issues.
mike

and i know people who regularly break stock steering on 30's with no lift

stock steering with 8" and/or 35's is :doh:

Back