• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

77 Cherokee Dana 44

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
Found a 77 Cherokee in the junk yard with D44's front and rear. Anyone know anything about these axles?

Typical gearing?
Width?
Fit under an xj?

It is leafs up front though so at least coil buckets will be needed.

44s from a 77 FSJ are not really what you want. First the Front axle is pass side drop, and the rear is off set.
The only "common" bolt in front 44 will be from a TJ rubi, and it is only a 44 center section with 30 outers.

If you want to do a 44 find one from a 86-92 grand waggy, or 78ish f250. The f250 on will be full width but a lot of people cut them down to waggy width. Both of these would require brackets, gearing, lockers, etc....

There is always the elusive Venezuelan XJ front HP 44, but those are uber rare and require importing.

But really what size tire do you want to run. If its over a 35 might as well build a 60 instead.

Found a 77 Cherokee in the junk yard with D44's front and rear. Anyone know anything about these axles?

Typical gearing?
Width?
Fit under an xj?

It is leafs up front though so at least coil buckets will be needed.

What he said...but to answer the questions anyway:
The most common stock gearing I have seen is 3.54. The width is around 59-60 inches, and will fit wonderfully under an XJ at it's width. I believe it was around 0.5-1" narrower than the stock D30. But like the previous poster said, the 77 (everything through 79) is passenger drop, so if you wanted to get it under the XJ, you would need to do some MAJOR modifying. Or you could re-tube it, but the cost of doing that would negate the job.

The rear is useable, but not preferred when it is offset.

Keep in mind that the wide track Cherokee has wider axles. Narrow track had the same axles as the Wagoneer. Haven't measired them but the folks on the IFSJA site will have that info. Lots of narrow and wide track Cherokee guys over there. 3.31, 3.45 are common ratios. If you want to go with wide track axles, the J20 had some lower 4.11 gears common. They used a heavy duty D44 up front and a D60 rear. '80 and newer had the driver side drop on the front axle, centered diff on the rear.

Most likely had 3.54 at least that's what my J10 had and that's what I commonly see in the older trucks. Wide track axles are ~67" and also the knuckles are not flat tops.

Building a low pinion FSJ D44 for a Cherokee seems like a waste of time. By the time you get all the brackets on it, manual hubs, wheel adapters, replace worn ball joints, bearings and gear it the cost will be astronomical to pick up an axle that's good for another 2-3" of tire.

Building a low pinion FSJ D44 for a Cherokee seems like a waste of time. By the time you get all the brackets on it, manual hubs, wheel adapters, replace worn ball joints, bearings and gear it the cost will be astronomical to pick up an axle that's good for another 2-3" of tire.
to each his own...

some know they will never go bigger and like to overbuild for where the are at.

Keep in mind that the wide track Cherokee has wider axles. Narrow track had the same axles as the Wagoneer. Haven't measired them but the folks on the IFSJA site will have that info. Lots of narrow and wide track Cherokee guys over there. 3.31, 3.45 are common ratios. If you want to go with wide track axles, the J20 had some lower 4.11 gears common. They used a heavy duty D44 up front and a D60 rear. '80 and newer had the driver side drop on the front axle, centered diff on the rear.
iirc the J20 with the HD44 and D60/big gay D44 rear that can't be upgraded had 3.73s from the factory. Pretty sure 3.31 and 3.54 were the ratios for the other axles. That's about all I can think of though.

Back